You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Indian Education system tests- Intelligence or memory?

There are lot of educational boards involved in our country. Each board follows its own rules and regulations. The syllabus varies from board to board and the standard of education also varies. There are some educational institutions which wants their students to present the text in the same manner as it is mentioned in the book. On the other hand, some institution want their students to express the content in their own aspects. Lot of variations are seen in the Indian education system. Overall what does the Indian Education system test-Intelligence or Memory?
    Originally the school education was a state subject as per constitutional provisions i.e. the states had complete control over the policies related to school education and its implementing and the role of the Government of India was limited to coordination and taking decisions about the higher education only. However the education was put under concurrent list vide a constitutional amendment in the year 1976. Now the school education policies and programs are chalked out at the national level by the Government of India. The National Council for Educational Research and Training (NCERT) prepares a National Curriculum Framework. The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) and the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE) are central boards which have high reputation and are followed by many schools across India.
    At state level there are the State Council for Educational Research and Training (SCERT) which generally follow guidelines established by the NCERT. Each state has its own Department of Education that runs its own school system with its own textbooks and evaluation system.
    As far as specific answer to the question raised by the author is concerned, the Indian education system as such is very good. Many great scientists, engineers, professors and statesmen have emerged from the same system.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Education system, syllabus, board are all different topics. If we discuss about education system, there're different variations like private and government, in that state govt. and central govt., in that day boarding and normal. So, there are lot differences we found in Indian educational system. The actual Indian education is only taught at Gurukul, ISKON School, SSRVM, Sri Aurobindo School, and Rabindra Bharati of Kolkata, like some Ashramas and religious schools. The educational systems in these schools are completely unique and different as compared to normal schools. Normally, in all schools children have to by-heart everything until the exam. And their school period ends with by-hearting the things only. However in Gurukul like schools, the children never by-heart the subjects; the subject get into their mind in classroom only. This is all due to their regular meditation, concentration, breathing practices, yoga, etc.
    Regards,
    Naresh Kumar
    'Every bad situation will have something positive. Even a dead clock shows correct time twice a day.'

I do agree with the author that up to the education of primary level, the education imparted in every private school is the same. But it varies from the higher education say from 6th to 10th class. Some schools are following the state syllabus, some are following the CBSE, and some are following the ICSE syllabus. Those who are residing in a particular state and looking for government jobs in their state has the necessity to study the state syllabus with their local language as one of the subject. In that melee the concerned candidate though being intelligent and bright, cannot take part in National level and thus denied a good chance to have higher education in better way.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Now a days, most of the people (teachers/students/parents) are concerned only about the marks but not the subject. When I am studying 10th standard (SSC board), many of my classmates used to by heart the content in the study materials word for word. Due to this, they were the toppers if a planned test is conducted. On the other hand, I used to be the topper if a surprise test is conducted. Clearly, this is the case in most of the schools of our country. They are testing memory but not intelligence but note that this is true for state level boards only. As far as I know, central boards like CBSE students do not have chance to by heart their subjects.

Let us continue learning.

Our conception - level has changed considerably what it was in the years between 1950 and 1960. Those were the days when the the teachers were engaged in promoting the talents of the students and much stress was given on this aspect. Originality in writing was appreciated. Those were the days when any marking beyond beyond 70 in literature was practically difficult to be achieved despite the reflection of impressive answer in the examination - sheet. Now, there has been reversal in the pattern and we can see almost cent- percent marks almost in all papers be it English or Hindi. Teachers are concious of their images and to retain this image, they would not tolerate any relaxation other than recapitulating the entire text as documentated in the text - book. No doubt, there is a brilliant result of the aspirants due such pressure, they lack the originality in the expression. To achieve cent percent marks is an art but to have the clarity in the subject is entirely difficult - this should be borne in the minds of both student and teacher communities.

Academic course end Examinations test our comprehension. What the student has understood from learning all these period.
    First the theoretical tests evaluate the conceptual level. The practical evaluate the application adeptness.

One cannot entrust a driver or pilot to ferry live passengers even after the course period is over unless some evaluation carried out to confirm and have confidence that the person can handle the vehicle or plane by himself. So even here there will be theoretical questions and evaluation and practical.

Memorising is necessary in certain situations. For example the definitions and formulae have to be memorised as such, because any deviation even minor may change the whole thing. memory is important in legal studies and practice too.

==================================
    Let us keep faith on ourselves and work sincerely, not leave everything to fate.

Indian education system gives importance of memorising facts and figures. It does not give stress on exploring or critically analysing information. The students who are capable of analysing, they acquired the ability themselves or due to their family background or thanks to some extra-ordinary mentors.As a result of undue stress on memorising facts and figures, Indian education system is most suitable for mediocre people.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Sign In to post your comments