You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Are you aware about safety precautions to be taken during lightening?

During thunderstorm and lightening, following precautions should be taken by all concerned -
    1. Bring pets indoors as they get very scared during lightning and thunder. Under such circumstances they are likely to panic or run away to escape the storm.
    2. Wired telephones are dangerous during thunderstorms as lightning may travel through telephone wires. Mobile phones and cordless handsets are relative safe.
    3. Unplug the expensive electronic items like computers, televisions etc. when thunderstorm is expected.
    4. Plumbing lines also can conduct electricity from outside during thunderstorms. Wait to use sinks, showers, tubs, and toilets etc. during such period.
    5. Don't play video games connected to the TV.
    6. Never touch wiring during a thunderstorm.
    Have you encountered any unpleasant situation during lightening or a thunderstorm.
    Well In Hyderabad we are always alerted by the current supplying corporation that a possible gale or heavy rain accompanied with thunder would lash the city and thus the power goes off. Once the power goes off, we need not worry about the above alerts given by the author. However I appreciate those tips and certainly follow the same at times of need.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Due to an expert question on this topic, I know all the facts mentioned except the first one (Bring pets indoors as they get very scared during lightning and thunder). Also, power is cut whenever big rains etc,. occur. Therefore, there is no need to worry.

Let us continue learning.

Yes, I follow all the instructions that were mentioned by the author except the first instruction as I don't have any pet. One should be very cautious during lightening and thunder. Also people should avoid standing under the tree during lightening and heavy winds.

I did once had a close encounter with lightning. It was long back, when I used to live in a hostel. Our room was located in the first floor and there was a asbestos ceiling at the top. Underneath the asbestos ceiling, there was a false ceiling too. It was noon time and some of the occupants were having a nap and there was a thunderstorm outside. All of a sudden, a flash of a light entered the room piercing the false ceiling and immediately went into the floor. A bed was placed very close by and fortunately no one was occupying it at that time. The flash of light was immediately followed by a loud bang. The close encounter with the lightning shook us. There was some damage too. Part of the ceiling had broken, where the lightning had entered the room.

I hope the author won't mind correcting the spelling of "lightning" in the thread title and elsewhere, which might have crept in inadvertently. Hyderabad is one city, which often experiences a lot of lightning. The safety measures advocated by the author will be very handy for residents of Hyderabad and elsewhere. By the way, "lightening" means to lighten the colour or reduce the load.

Patience and perseverance pays

Sign In to post your comments