You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Suggestions

How about a ISC page of records?

Hello ISC members,

Some members of this site contribute in only one or two sections but that contribution will be huge. Recently, I saw the profile of a member whose contribution is most in ask experts section (more than 1000 answers) and that member is still doing the remarkable contribution in the same section. We all know the member whose contribution in jobs section is almost impossible to surpass. Suppose there is an ISC page of records with the categories like:

Highest number of forum threads by a member
    Highest number of forum responses by a member
    Highest number of expert answers by a member
    Highest number of resources by a member
    Highest number of resource responses by a member
    Highest number of jobs by a member

Highest number of forum threads by a member in a week/month/year
    Highest number of forum responses by a member in a week/month/year
    Highest number of expert answers by a member in a week/month/year
    Highest number of resources by a member in a week/month/year
    Highest number of resource responses by a member in a week/month/year
    Highest number of jobs by a member in a week/month/year

Then, members with competitive spirit will try to beat the record and thus they will contribute more and more in ISC. What is your opinion on this?

As far as I know, there is no such page. If there is such a page already, please provide the link.
    I don't think the ISC management will support the idea. The standard advice in such cases is that introduction of any such feature is likely to affect the quality of the contents. Most of record holders are already known and the data can be verified by visiting their profile page e.g. Pramod is likely to be the undisputed king of the jobs section and Mohan Ji is likely to be the record holder in raising new threads and posting responses.
    Regarding forum threads , there is a limit on maximum threads which can be raised, though there is no such limit on posting thread responses. There is no set limit on posting ask expert answers and resource responses also.
    While talking about records, until and unless established otherwise, I am the record holder of becoming a diamond level member in the least possible time so far and likely to be so in case of attaining a platinum level member also by the month of September, 2016.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

To #571917 (Mr. Kailash Kumar), the member I mentioned for ask experts posted 1000+ expert answers. There may be members who are currently inactive but contributed more than that. If a records page is there, we can know who is the record holder. In my opinion, it increases competitive spirit among members. As you said, it may lead to reduction in quality. So, if the record is given by considering factors like number of points or cash credits from those posts etc., there will be no problem.

Even I have posted 1469 ask expert answers so far and at the same time have raised 526 ask expert question also.

The author has made a valid thread here. I have been saying in the past that ISC must have Hall of fame page in which all the big records must be mentioned and preserved. Like any other Institution they keep records of performance., ISC too has so many performing members and some have created a niche for themselves. If hall of fame section is there, the new members would visit and get to know the achievements of members and their recognition by the site. More over for the members too they can surpass the records already achieved by them. Like in cricket the players used to surpass their own record and create a new one. So ISC can consider my suggestion.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

A Hall of Fame is generally to honour outstanding persons in a specific field and the idea is not bad, but then installing it with 'highest number' as the parameter does not make sense when members are contributing on a continuous basis. Thus, somebody would have to constantly update the Hall of Fame list for each section, unless it can be done automatically in the way the names of the Super Experts change as per contributions.
    Regards,
    Vandana
    Managing Editor, IndiaStudyChannel.com

Presently names of 'Top Earners' are displayed on the home page which can also be treated as a 'Hall of Fame' like feature of ISC. After all only worthy contents fetch revenue and the revenue earned is the correct yardstick to gauge contribution of members.

I don't think the same will be a good idea. Because the highest point and highest credit earners are usually those who have been with ISC since its beginning or who are just expert in creating back to back content. Displaying the same will in no manner encourage the new members.

All it may do for the most is making them depressed to think that an impossible target. To be honest, a newbie may only defeat a highest earner when that highest earner stops making any activity, but that is not something that is going to happen. The highest earner is regular, hard working and proficient enough to continue his/her job well.

I think it is enough that Editors make different posts in forum to appreciate and reward the contributors whenever possible.

Or maybe, I am too against of the unnecessary competition that makes me think this way.

Regards,
    Ank Arya

"Your value does not decrease based on someone's inability to see your worth"

I understand the complexity which arises by involving the first 6 categories I mentioned. But, I think there is no problem in involving the others. The most points earned by a member in a single day is 299 as far as I know. Such records are hard to beat and therefore such members deserve a (place in the) records page. When a member beats a record, he/she can send a message to our managing editor/web master who can update the record page after validation.

Let us continue learning.

The hall of fame need not be updated on daily basis. It can be done twice a month and if certain achievement is made by a performing member. Surely newbies would be influenced by those information.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Sign In to post your comments