You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

What is the difference between Teacher and Guru?

The word Teacher and Guru is identical in meaning yet found few differences when I searched on the net.

The basic word difference between Teacher and Guru is the difference between 'takes' and 'makes'.

For instance a teacher takes responsibility for one's growth whereas Guru makes one responsible for their growth.

Similarly one beautiful difference I found wherein it says a teacher prepares you to answer the questions whereas a Guru will question your answer.

Any other difference between Teacher and Guru? I wish to know from learned members.
    The meaning of both teacher and Guru is 99% similar. However, the 1% is language. Guru is a Sanskrit word which meaning is 'dispeller of darkness' and teacher is English.
    The meaning of Teacher – A person who teaches or guides students for a particular purpose
    The meaning of Guru – A person who is an expert in all and has all the answers to his disciples' question.

Regards,
    Naresh Kumar
    'Every bad situation will have something positive. Even a dead clock shows correct time twice a day.'

The internet resources are abound with such comparisons. I am sharing few of them as follows -
    1. A teacher gives you knowledge whereas a Guru makes you wise.
    2. A teacher will punish you with a stick whereas a Guru will punish you with compassion.
    3. One can always find a teacher whereas a Guru has to find and accept you as a pupil.
    4. A teacher requires obedience and discipline from the pupil whereas a Guru requires trust and humility from the pupil.
    5. A teacher explains the world and its nature to you whereas a Guru explains yourself and your nature to you.
    There are many such comparisons. Some authors have created such prose applying their creative mind.
    However nowadays generally we find only teachers in the educational institutions who sometimes go on protests and strikes also for increasing their salary/wages. In most of the Government schools the teachers behave like clerks only always concerned about their promotion, increment and transfers/postings.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Mainly speaking there is no difference between Guru and Teacher. A real Guru should not expect anything from the student for offering his service as Guru. A teacher or Guru will teach the student what all he knows and becomes perfect Guru or Teacher. Poet Kabir told once I have number of Gurus and everybody astonished on his saying like this and he explained that those who are all teaching a new thing to me is a Guru to me. In those days according Hindu Puranas, we can understand that the Lord/God himself came as Guru to many devotees to establish the necessity of a Guru to learn a thing especially to seek mukthi from this birth and death cycle. Example is Lord Shiva came in the form of Dakshinamurthy to teach Sanakathi munis. Lord Shiva came as Guru to Vaathavooraar of Madurai Kingdom and named him as Manickavasagam

Sign In to post your comments