You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Forgotten Hero – Subramanya Bharathi

After posting some threads "Forgotten Hero" based on our freedom fighter those who were not as popular in entire India. I came to know some fact from the responses I got that many of us do not know them. The reason I could find that people predominantly know only those names that are closer to their state. Thus we may not know some of the Heroes name from south, likewise south people too may not know some of the name from north. It is obvious that each state school syllabus will give more important to their state's history. So, if one does not know other states freedom fighter name, we should not misunderstand that.

Today, I have come up with some familiar freedom fighter name from South India like
    C. Rajagopalachari, Sarojini Naidu, S.Radhakrishnan, C.Subramaniam, K.Kamaraj. We may know these names which were famous throughout our Indian independence Movement. But, there were other freedom fighters too who did not become famous or known to entire India. In other words, many people do not know him.

However, I have a name Subramanya Bharathi, he was equivalent to Ravindranath Tagore for South India. He too inspired people with his songs and poetry which set things on fire. He was popularly known as "Mahakavi Bharathi". He was born in Ettyapuram in 1882 and had his early education in Tirunelveli and Varanasi. He was also an active member of Indian National Congress and participated in many revolutionary activities. He fought for equality, fought against the cast system and work for the better India and its future.

I would request to other members from south to put some words for him which I could not mentioned. Let us know more about him. Also Please correct me if I went anywhere wrong.

We as a people of India will always bow down to such people who have given their life to create a free India, a free country to breath.
    A great patriot Mahakavi Subramaniya Bharathi. A great poet in whose poems we can see bravery, patriotism, love, devotion to God, prayers, philosophy, Leaders of India, extract from Mahabharatham, Krishnan (Kannan) songs and for children in his poetry and songs. He has covered each and everything that exists in this world. I would say that all his creations now belongs to the universe. He is known as Mundasu Kavi as he ties a turban around his head. Possessed a big moustache.

Date of Birth: 11 December 1882
    Place of Birth : Ettayapuram of Tirunelveli district in South Tamilnadu
    Father:- Chinnaswamy Iyer.
    Mother:- Lakshmi Ammal.
    Wife: Chellamma. Married in the year 1897.
    Date of Death : 12 September 1921 ( He was attacked by a temple elephant)

No life without Sun ¤

I am attaching an image of the great poet Mahakavi Subramaniya Bharathi for members who do not know as to how the poet look like. (Image curtesy - Wikipedia)
    No life without Sun ¤

Delete Attachment

In Bengal, we read about Subramaniya Bharathi as a great poet and patriot. Unfortunately, he died very young.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

For that matter every Tamizhan knows the great poet and philosopher Subramaniya Bharathi and his photograph can prominently seen in many government offices as mark of respect.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

The following are some of the famous quotes of the great Indian writer, poet, journalist, Indian independence activist and social reformer Chinnaswami Subramania Bharathi -
    1. We may have thousand of sects; that, however, does not justify a foreign invasion.
    2. There is no caste.
    3. Destroy the world if even a single person doesn't have food.
    4. All are kings of this land.
    5. Live in the present and shape the future, do not be casting lingering looks to the distant past for the past has passed away, never again to return.
    6. He who writes poetry is not a poet. He whose poetry has become his life, and who has made his life his poetry it is he who is a poet.
    7. World will prosper in knowledge and intellect, if both men and women are deemed equal.
    8. Among all the languages we know, we do not see anywhere, any as sweet as Tamil.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Subramania Bharathi is a famous poet in Tamil Nadu. He has written many poems in Tamil. He gives more importance to languages and he is the only poet in India who knows 32 languages (29 Indian languages and 3 foreign languages). He was also a social reformer and an activist who has worked a lot for the Independence of India. Bharathi was an active freedom fighter who has opposed the British rule through his powerful words. He was a journalist in the famous newspaper Swadesimitran and India. He was imprisoned in jail many times by the British, for his involvement in the freedom movement. During his jail life, Bharathi has spent most of his time by writing poems and books. Some of his notable works are Panjali Sabatham, Kannan pattu, Kuyil Pattu, Pappa pattu,etc. His works are mostly based on religion, political and social aspects. He was involved in many Social reforms. He was the one who expressed his thoughts to abolish the caste system. Bharathi has also advocated a lot for the rights of women and their education.
    Whenever I hear the name Bharathi, one of his poems "Where there is a will, there is way" comes to my mind. The poem was written by Bharathi in English and the words are highly inspirational.
    These are the lines from the poem-' Where there is a will, there is a way'.

'Where there is a will, there is a way'
    But, Oh, Heavens! Where is the way to get a Will?
    Instinct replies" In thyself".
    Yes, in myself, in myself, in myself
    I Will that I develop a powerful will.
    I have willed it.
    I have willed that what I will, I will achieve.
    I have willed to do anything.
    I will, will, will, will.....This is my mantra.

I will be strong.
    I will grow into strength, I will age into youth.

I will work for Power and Greatness.
    I will achieve glory.
    I will annihilate the miseries of mankind.
    I will make mankind happier.
    I will make the world better.
    I will wed truth and power, Oh, Heavens!
    Grant unto me Truth and Power.

I will work, work, work, work...
    Toil, Toil, Toil..... Yes, Toil
    Shall be my strength, Toil, my pleasure,
    Toil my rule, and Toil shall be my Way,
    Toil my will and Toil my Weapons,
    And toil shall be my glory,
    Toil my Charm, Toil my Use,
    And Toil shall be my custom,
    Toil my fort, Toil my ground and Toil shall be my play.
    Toil shall be my faith, Toil my scripture, toil my code,
    And Toil shall be my Mate.
    Ever Toil ever success; ever Toil
    Ever success..... I succeed,
    I succeed, I succeed, I succeed...

Success my law, success my way,
    And Success shall be my bride,
    Success my glory, Success my pride,
    Success my tune, Success my Lay,
    And Success shall be my faith,
    Success my doctrine, Success my code,
    Success my vehicle, Success my road,
    Success my custom, Success my mode,
    Success my life, Success my death,
    Success my religion, Success my Heaven,
    Success my only God.
    Success, success, success......
    I Succeed...

Jeets,

Can you please correct the typo in your content? I think one of two years have been typed incorrectly in your third paragraph.

Kindly read this part to spot the mistake -

He was born in Ettyapuram in 1988 and had his early education in Tirunelveli and Varanasi. He was also an active member of Indian National Congress in 1908

Regards,
    Ank Arya

"Your value does not decrease based on someone's inability to see your worth"

#572123 Ank, thanks a lot that you have corrected the mistake. I have changed the year now.

Thanks a lot to other members for posting valuable details to this thread.

"Any man who stands for progress has to criticize, disbelieve and challenge every item of the old faith." - Sardar Bhagat Singh

Sign In to post your comments