You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: IndiaStudyChannel.com

A tip for developing a new article.

Generally for writing an article research work has to be done for collecting/updating information regarding the subject matter. It is always advisable to cross check the information from more than one resources. In case the related information is made available on any Government website or the website of any other highly reputed organization, then the same only should be relied upon.
    However, there is a tip in the sense that the article author may raise a query in the ask expert section as well as a thread in the forum section of the ISC for collecting information related to the topic of the proposed article. It is likely that useful relevant information about the article will come in the form of responses from other ISCians.
    Do you liked the idea/tip?
    Well, you should normally conduct a full research on the topic you plan to write on. I normally collect the information from a wide range of sources - like searching over the internet from the authority sites, QA sites or such other resources.

If it is about a product (which I usually write on the sister site of ISC), I try collecting the brochures and information booklet on the same.

Your tip on raising a forum thread for the purpose should work great - not only in collection of the insights, but also it will help gaining better traffic if you give a link to your article at the end of all the discussion.

Live....and Let Live...!

I had discovered and sensed your present 'tip' quite early itself by my own research in ISC pages. I had found that there are many articles which came as a result of the author raising Ask Expert question and then pooling these answers and making an article. Not just one question, but more supplementary and complementary questions and threads too.

I found myself fooled many times earlier when the answers I gave got a few pennies and the article 'concocted' by smart authors got more cash credit, points and adsense.

But then, there are always 'smart' people and in modern age such smartness is welcomed and appreciated everywhere. So now I do not mind all these.

==================================
    Let us keep faith on ourselves and work sincerely, not leave everything to fate.

Well, this tip may be known to senior members but I don't know it. If there is nothing wrong in doing this, I will do this for some of the articles (based on the topics in which I do not know too much) I am planning to post in the coming days.

Let us continue learning.

To be frank, is it necessary to break our head to create a resource? I don't think so. We may consult other sources when we are writing about biography of a famous personality or writing about a tourist spot. Raising a question in AE section and correlating the responses to create a new resource - are you guiding the members in a right direction? Or, throwing a sense of sarcasm on other write-ups?

I honestly disagree with you and your idea seems to be volatile.

Regards,
    Jagdish

Jagdish (#572159) - The answer posted by Venkiteswaran Ji (#572137), lets the cat out of bag.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

This thread is actually misguided. The author must have realized that there are people who are smarter than him around after reading Venkiteswaran sir's response. Common Mr kailash, it would be nice if you could stop taking things too far. Let our author's have their own ideas and inclinations. There is no need to suggest shortcuts just to buffer your tactics which, for your kind information, is not a secret. (Apologies if I sounded harsh).
    Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

And seems like I took the bait by Mr Kailash.

I am strongly against the practice of "spinning" an article based on what others have stated in their responses to forum threads and AE responses. That would just mean that you as an author lack ideas and just want to steal the content from other people's minds.

Yes, a few responses make me realise the need for an article or give me an idea about a possible article topic. But, I would not steal the content just because I would want to earn at other's expenses.

Live....and Let Live...!

You can be inspired to write an article on some query posted in our Ask Expert section as suggested in this old thread (one of our ex-editors & Tony Sir too had suggested it prior to this), but definitely should not plagiarize the details for the topic from the answers in that thread nor follow the tip provided in this thread, which is downright unethical.

Also, it would be good if the article author who selects a topic from the Ask Expert section provides a link to that Ask Expert thread in the text of the article.

Regards,
    Vandana
    Managing Editor, IndiaStudyChannel.com

Right indeed, Vandana. I often get ideas about new article topics from the AE questions and responses (I agree I do not have many articles posted here, but I do have plenty in a sister site), but I always make it a point to provide an internal link to the concerned AE thread. Not only AE section, but even a forum thread or an existing article can give you a fresh idea. It would be more practical and prudent to post a link to the concerned contribution.
    Live....and Let Live...!

As far as the contributions of the articles are concened, there are numerous devices with which the chosen topics can be stretched to create the same as an informave article. If we don't follow the ethical standard, nothing can be done to remedy this malaise. However, utmost care has to be exercised to maintain the originality of the texts in order to derive the pleasure of writing. Though there is no hard and fast rule to catch hold of defaulters copying informations from here and there, their own inspirations would definitely create articles having uniqueness and originality. Our members would like to achieve distinction in producing quality articles - is not it? Let us not be over sensitive on this account.

Of course we expect quality articles, but not at the cost of doing something which is not in a straightforward manner with no due acknowledgement of having taken from a forum or Ask Expert thread. Is it right to post questions (sometimes even anonymously) & then give the false impression that one has gathered information solely from one's own research via the Net or printed matter?
    Regards,
    Vandana
    Managing Editor, IndiaStudyChannel.com

Saji (#572217) - Your response is harsh, but after accepting apologies tendered by you in anticipation, I don't mind it.
    Vandana (#572224, #572230) - When the authors collect information about their proposed articles by researching on internet and it had been reiterated time and again that there is no harm in referring the other resources for gathering information, though the articles should be written by the authors originally in their own words , then how it can be unethical in referring the contents posted in the forum section or ask expert section of the ISC itself.

Mr kailash (#572235), what does your statement "However, there is a tip in the sense that the article author may raise a query in the ask expert section as well as a thread in the forum section of the ISC for collecting information related to the topic of the proposed article. It is likely that useful relevant information about the article will come in the form of responses from other ISCians." mean? When you have made a point clear, I don't think that an attempt to mask it now will yield any positive result.

Yes, I preferred to be harsh because you have been following the same route for sometime now and I thought it is high time to let you know that we are aware.

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

Saji (#572238) - What is wrong in my tip? It is one of the established methods of collecting information. It is a research methodology to conduct surveys and collect the information. Why you are personally targeting me by hurling accusations. To me it appears that such thoughts are merely figments of your own imaginations. Rest assured, I neither have any dearth of thoughts or ideas, nor time to indulge in futile exercises.

No matter under which guise we describe it, it should remain unethical to steal someone else's ideas to your own benefit from within the site. It will just amount to article spinning and as is well known it is one of the traits strongly discouraged here. Getting an idea for an article from a forum thread or ask expert response is something entirely different from lifting the content straightaway.

I do not think Saji Ganesh needs to be apologetic for what he stated.

Live....and Let Live...!

I do not understand the hullaballoo over what the author has suggested. The majority of articles published on this site have been written using someone else's thoughts and research. In that sense all articles are plagiarized – the ideas are neither original, nor is the content – the originality lies only in the sentence construction used to rephrase another's work. Authors here use their writing skills to transform someone else's work and publish it under their name. I do not think any member on this site is able enough to write an article from scratch (barring a few topics and a few authors) using their own views and imagination. Everyone here (in my understanding) uses some form of external help, to construct their articles. I am guilty of doing the same.

This is what author's generally do, especially when they want reliable information. They speak to others, listen to opinions, carry out surveys and read up on relevant material that has been published etcetera and then compile the gathered information into their research paper, book or article.

The idea for an article would already be present in the author's mind for him to post a question. I consider it part of the spadework required to write a detailed article. I see nothing unethical about it.

A fool will always try to make sense of his nonsense!

I had basically raised this thread on seeing a published article by an author who had raised a question in the ask expert section and many authors including myself had responded on the same. Though none of the content in the article was copy/pasted from the responses posted by the other authors, the incidence had prompted me to discuss the issue on this thread.

Sign In to post your comments