You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Music

Today (22nd July, 2016) is the birthday of great singer Mukesh!

Along with Mohd. Rafi, Manna Dey and Kishore Kumar, Mukesh reigned the great kingdom of Hindi film music (male) during 1950s, 1960s and part of 1970s. Born as Mukesh Chand Mathur in Delhi, this great singer went to Mumbai in 1940s. At that time he was a great fan of K.L. Saigal and used to imitate him. Later he developed his own style with the help of music director Naushad. His friendship and partnership with Raj Kapoor is well-known in Mumbai film industry. Mukesh received the Filmfare award in 1974. He enthralled the listeners with his melodious voice for more than 30 years.

This great singer was born on 22nd July, 1923 and breathed his last on 27th August, 1976.

I pay my respect to this great singer on his 94th birthday.

I have always been a great fan of Mukesh saab. I faintly remember having wept on hearing the news of his death and this fact has been confirmed by my mother. He had a different voice which was melodious and at the same time haunting. I join the author in paying my respects to this great singer. 'Jaane kahan, gaye woh din.....' and so many others that are going through my mind right now!

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

Google is celebrating Mukesh's 93rd birthday by a doodle today.
    As a tribute to the legendary singer Mukesh, let us remember some of his evergreen renditions.
    1. 'Ek pyar ka nagma'
    2. 'Ek din bik jayega'
    3. 'Main na bhoolunga'
    4. 'Hothon pe sacchai rehti hai'
    5. 'Sawan ka mahina'
    6. 'Main pal do pal ka shayar'

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Other than many of his romantic renditions, I liked his song 'Chhodo kal ki baaten, kal ki baat puraani, naye daur mein likenge hum milkar nayi kahani' from the film Hum Hindustani. It has so much positivism ringing out, to leave the past, it is old, let's script a new story....
    Regards,
    Vandana
    Managing Editor, IndiaStudyChannel.com

I pay my respect to legendary singer and person Mukeshji. I always listen his songs which he mostly sang for Raj Kapoor Sahib. His duet with Lataji also very melodious. He is really a proud for India and Indians. We always miss him but not what he left for us.
    Regards,
    Naresh Kumar
    'Every bad situation will have something positive. Even a dead clock shows correct time twice a day.'

Let me first thank you to Partha for this thread. Thank you so much Partha. I am one of his biggest fan. I remember in my school days and after, I used to imitate his voice and use to sing. There is hardly a song of his which is not heard by me.

It was said that his pronunciation was such clear that even if someone hear his voice from distance, could find out the words he sang. When his death message came to Rajkapoor he said, " I have lost my voice".

His voice was fixed to some particular hero, but he sang for others hero too. It was an incident when Dilip Kumar came to know that his one of the song sung by Mukesh, he was surprised and said, how come his voice look good on me. During those days, his song used to sung by Rafi Saab. But when that song was released in film, it was super hit. That song was - Suhana Safar aur ye mausam hasin.

There is not a single song which I can say that I do not like but my all time favourite songs are-

Chal akela Chal akela
    Jane Kahan gaye wo din
    Jane Chale jate he Kahan duniya se Jane wale

We may not have his presence physically but his voice will be always there for music lover all over the world.

"Any man who stands for progress has to criticize, disbelieve and challenge every item of the old faith." - Sardar Bhagat Singh

Yes I came across the Google doodle paying respect to the great singer Mukesh on his 93rd birthday and who can forget this great singer for his ever green rendition in Mera Naam Joker. Those songs are still valid today and even the new songs cannot match the lyrics or the gestures being shown by the actors there. The songs from that film are :

Jane kahan gaye who din ....
    Jeena yahan, marna yahan...
    Daag na lag jaye
    Kehta hai joker saara zamana..

And his voice was best suited to Raj Kapoor and elders of today wont forget this great singer.

K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

And today is also the birthdate of my little son who was born on 22nd May, 2016. May he also be a legend to be remembered.
    Success is not granted, it is earned!

I don't know much about Hindi film industry. I came to know about Mr. Mukesh due to the google's doodle today. He should have been a legend.

@Naveed Ahmed (#572249) : Happy Birthday to your son. But, you mentioned 22nd May 2016.

Let us continue learning.

Unfortunately Mukesh's son, Neetin Mukesh, could not become successful as a singer. Mukesh's grandson, Neel Neetin Mukesh, became a moderately successful actor, but he has been involved in many controversies.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Sign In to post your comments