You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Have you ever gone through the importance of bar codes on products ?

When we buy packed products we find bar codes mentioned on that. For lay man it is simply many black and white lines with some numbers. When you are supplying products to super markets, they wont accept the same without bar codes. Now let me explain to you the secret of that codes. Some products are sold in the country and exported too . So to find out from where those products came is being recorded in those codes. For example if the first 3 digits of the bar code are 690, 691 or 692, the product is Made in China. 471 is Made in Taiwan. Like wise the following codes are :

890......MADE IN INDIA
    00 - 09 ... USA and CANADA
    30 - 37 ... FRANCE
    40 - 44 ... GERMANY
    471 ........ Taiwan
    49 .......... JAPAN
    50 .......... UK
    There are many types of bar codes. However what generally we see printed on a packaged product is Universal Product Code (UPC) type of bar code. Such bar codes are technically known as the UPC-A bar codes and consist of 12 numerical digits. However the digits are represented by strips of bars and spaces, so that the same can be machine read using a bar code reader/scanner. Each digit is represented by an unique pattern of 2 bars and 2 spaces. The width of bars and spaces vary. The width of the bars and spaces are denoted by modules, it may be 1, 2, 3, or 4 modules wide. However the total width for a digit is always 7 modules.
    Contrary to the popular belief, the UPC bar codes contain information only about the manufacturer's identity and an identification number for the specific product.
    The first 6 to10 digits of a 12-digit barcode identify the company that manufactures or sells the product. The remaining digits, except for the very last one, are assigned by the manufacturing/selling company to describe each of its products.
    The digit is known a 'check digit', which is generated by the system based on the previously filled 11 digits to catch printing errors, if any.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Great Information K mohan sir, I had never thought about this, from next time I will have a clear vigilance to check these bar codes to know the manufacturer country, and it increasing my anxiousness to visit immediately to any store to check many bar codes.

A bar code is a combination of parallel lines each separated by a non uniform distance. It consists of some information. Bar codes are first used in railroad industry. Association of American Railroads sponsored it and it was called KarTrak ACI (Automatic Car Identification). On two sides of railroad rolling vehicles, metal plates with colored stripes of different patterns are attached. When they pass through a gate etc., they are scanned to check the ownership etc,. The bar codes became popular when super markets started using them. The first time a super market used a bar code is for a chewing gum. By the way, nice information Mr. Mohan.

Let us continue learning.

In addition to my response #572264, I would like to make few things more clear as follows -
    1. The first three digits identify 'the origin of the company that made the product', not the country of origin of the product. There is no surprise if a product with a U.S. company prefix (001 to 019, 030 to 039 or 060 to 139), is manufactured in China.
    2. Since the bar codes are printed in strips of bars and spaces, a common man cannot decipher the same. However one can learn to read the bars and spaces as numbers.
    3. A non-profit group the Global Language of Business popularly known as GSI manages the UPC system which is used by retailers, manufacturers and suppliers world over. Companies that want a barcode have to apply to become a GS1 member.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sign In to post your comments