You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: IndiaStudyChannel.com

Are inserting smilies at each end of the member's name allowed?

I have just seen that one member has prefixed and suffixed one smiley at each end of her name. I am not against that, but simply want to know the policies and guidelines regarding the same. As far as I remember, it was told in the past that the members are not allowed to use smilies in their contents. I am not revealing name of the member as that is not required also and can be seen on any of the responses posted by her.
    In case, it is allowed then I would also like to add smilies at the either end of my name.
    The editors are requested to please clarify if inserting smilies at each end of the member's name are allowed?
    Mr. Kailash Kumar, it's not a smiley at the end or start of the name. The member uploaded a smiley as her profile photo. So, the smiley is visible at the end of the name for forum threads and at the start of the name for forum responses.

Let us continue learning.

Thank you Krishna. On one side of the name, profile photo is appearing, but what about the other side i.e. right side? I think that is the something associated with Gold Level members only, as the same is not appearing in the case of silver, diamond or platinum level members. Can you please research and find the answer?
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I'm sorry, I didn't get you Mr. Kailash Kumar. The profile photo appears to the right side of the name for forum threads raised by a member. For this thread, your profile photo appears to the right of your name. For the response, your profile photo appears to the left of your name. So, are you seeing smiley on both sides at once? Please clarify.

In responses, profile photo is appearing on left side only as far as I can see.

The ISC rules strictly advise for having the original photo of the author beside their name that appears in the forum and elsewhere. So by having smileys the posting guidelines is being violated.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

The guidelines on the topic says that photos of nature, flowers or other objects are allowed though not recommended. ISC prefers original photos and if one does not want to upload his photo, I think the better option would be to leave it blank. In my personal opinion, using smileys etc as your profile photo does look odd in an educational site. The point will be discussed with the admin and a final decision in this regard will be taken though it is, as such, not a serious issue.
    Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

In response to #572296 -

Is the posting guideline really being violated? Please check the Managing Editor's profile picture. She knows and follows all the rules. If the image used in her profile meets the criterion, then so should a smiley face used by another member.

A fool will always try to make sense of his nonsense!

To #572277, I attached an image showing profile photo (smiley here) at either left or right. I tried my best to hide the member details.

Smiley-at-Left-or-Right.bmp

Delete Attachment

In the context of response #572304 , I have to confess that I personally don't see any logic in ME not posting her real photograph on her profile page.

Mr Kailash at #572321, don't you think that is a different issue and should not be brought in for discussion here? We have many members, including me, who have chosen not to upload our photographs. As long as it is not compulsory, I think it would be better not to interfere in personal prerogatives.
    Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

Saji (#572325) - Why don't you consider recommending / submitting feedback to the Webmaster to make posting of real photograph compulsory.

I think that female members are given a bit of leeway regarding the profile pic for obvious reasons & I don't see any harm in it. Why an issue is being made out of that? Aren't there any better issues to discuss?

Kailash, there is no point in making it compulsory to upload the real pic, I feel. How can the webmasters or editors make it sure that the pic uploaded by any member is real or not? It will be an additional burden on the team to verify the profile photos. What purpose would it serve, can you explain that?

Gypsy (#572329) - I was talking in the context that posting uploading photograph and its being verified is one of the 5 out of total 6 criteria for AdSense account approval. Here by photograph, I though it is about real photograph only.

A 'personal prerogative' of one cannot deny another of their right to voice an opinion. A right to opinion must be a prerogative available to each member. As long as opinions are within the purview of the forum posting guidelines and are not a deliberate attempt to offend someone or tarnish another's image, they should be allowed, without looking at it as a personal attack.

That being said, I am of the opinion that members who run the show should have a face. Interactions with faceless editors and ME appear impersonal. That is my view, and I am sure there will be many who will fail to agree with me. However, that is the beauty of being able to express yourself freely. Everyone does not have to agree with what you think is right.

I think it is not proper to have a smiley instead of a profile picture. It is better not to have than to have. A Smiley cannot be a picture of a member. There cannot be two standards, one for gents and the other for our good ladies. Ladies may not be willing to display their images for security reasons. Why? Men also might face security problems if a lady wishes to play a foul game with the gents images. Certainly, ladies can avoid posting their images and leave the page blank. A smiley in place of a profile photo is inappropriate and has no relevance. ISC Admin should look it to this smiley profiles. There is no two different rules set by ISC regarding uploading of profile photographs of male and female members of ISC.

Once I loaded the real photograph of SUN ¤ in my profile page and it was deleted by the ISC Admin calling it inappropriate. Why ?.... Why?...... Why?...... ISC Why?

No life without Sun ¤

On one hand we talk about gender equality and on the other hand we sometimes advocate dual policies. Many fellow female ISCians have also displayed their real photographs. Have they faced any security threat or infringement of their privacy?
    As a matter of fact the author who has displayed smiley now, had also displayed her real photograph only.

Can someone tell me how a smiley can be placed as discussed here? If the profile photo is also a smiley then under awards and gifts the smiley should get displayed. But there the photo of the member(and not the smiley) gets played. How it can be done? I also want to follow same.
    ==================================
    Let us keep faith on ourselves and work sincerely, not leave everything to fate.

Venkiteswaran Ji (#572394 ) - I am also contemplating about replacing my profile photo with a smiley and therefore waiting for a verdict of the ISC management.
    Regarding procedure, though I have not yet tried, but it appears that the smiley will have to first downloaded as a file and then uploaded replacing the real photograph on the profile page.

I hope our members have gone through my response at #572303 and will exhibit some patience.

So far in the discussion it is not yet clear from the ISC and editors that we are allowed to use smileys liberally. If yes them every one would download the same from different portals and by appending them does it not amount to violation of copy pasting activity in this forum ?
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Kailash,
    Copying and pasting a smiley in your profile page as a photo image would amount to copyright violation. Hence, I suggest you to create your own smiley in MS PAINT section and upload it in your profile page. I would also do it if no positive response is received from our WMs or ME. I have already drawn a smiley in my paint section and is standing by to get into my profile page.

Just have a look at my attached smiley

No life without Sun ¤

Delete Attachment

Now (1500 hrs today) I don't find the smiley on the profile page of the member. Who removed it? Is it the author who deleted it or is it ISC who removed the smiley? Is it the fear and worry from the author? Or is it the authority of ISC?

Let us know it. The author of the smiley can post her response here for the members to understand the use of smiley at ISC. Who hijacked the smiley?

No life without Sun ¤

Mr Sun, there is no need to be so inquisitive. What if the admin had informed her about the inappropriateness of having a smiley as her profile picture and has advised her that the same is not recommended? Does it make any difference?

Hope I had made the point regarding this quite clear in my response at #572303 which was reminded again at #572470.

And being a senior member who knows very well that ISC admin has always been responsive to positive suggestions, I am quite astonished by your use of the word 'fear'! Whom should the admin or a member fear? I am sure that ISC does not run on fear; it runs on mutual trust and co-operation which you might find it difficult to understand. Being sarcastic is one thing and being mean is another. It seems you have not yet mend your ways!

And, I am unable to resist myself from saying that you have drawn a perfect picture to be used as your profile picture; but please do wait!

What an earth-shattering discussion is going on on smileys! How can some Members discuss boring topics like terrorism/ communalism leaving such interesting topics!
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Saji,
    It was too late to get the smiley removed from the member's profile. ISC editors were not smart enough to perform this job. It took more than two days to take deleting action. ISC is always in a better position to delete irrelevant profile pictures than the author of the smiley. Members were made to wait to see the reaction of ISC for two good days. Finally, who did the job? Only God knows. If it was done by the author - it was due to fear that it might get deleted by the ISC. If it was by ISC - it was due to authority to delete.

There should have been a firm response from the editor whether such smileys are allowed or not allowed. Such a lengthy discussion should have been avoided. It is the slackness of the ISC editors that the thread stretched to 24 responses.

No life without Sun ¤

Juana,

Since you raised a doubt about my profile page photo in #572304, I would like to clarify that I have not uploaded any image since a very long time. I had put a profile photo a couple of months ago of myself and later an image of the meaning of my name, which too I removed later. If at all you see any image, it would be of an ad & sometimes you would likely see a video ad too. This is the case for all those members who have not uploaded any photo at the profile page. Sometimes, no ad appears at all.

With reference to #572337: I do not think that lack of a photo makes for impersonal interaction. Since it is not mandatory to upload the photo, I opted not to do so. I removed my own photo for very valid reasons, which I would not like to state here.

Regards,
    Vandana
    Managing Editor, IndiaStudyChannel.com

Sun, with reference to your response #572522: why are you forever targeting editors as being lazy, sleeping, etc (now being slack)? You think any issue raised in the forum is resolved instantly? We are not cooking 2-minute noodles in the back office! Even bills in Parliament do not get passed instantly. We have repeatedly told you & other members that a lot of aspects of an issue do need to be discussed with the Webmasters before we can confirm what should be done. Similarly this issue about smiley emoticons. Once we have completed the discussion, we will inform the members and clarify about the smileys.

Besides, the fact there is a lengthy discussion in this thread underlines the fact that there is a vibrant forum at our site, allowing for free opinions, views and feedback. What does it matter if there are lots of responses?

Regards,
    Vandana
    Managing Editor, IndiaStudyChannel.com

Vandana,
    It was the sudden disappearance of the smiley that raised my curiosity to know the fact about the missing smiley. Was it by ISC or by the smiley holder? I think the discussion between ISC bosses and editors is still going on while the smiley is missing from the site.

If an editor can ask me to mend my ways, I don't think I am wrong in saying editors are slack in doing their job for two days.

No life without Sun ¤

I sent a message to the member about this discussion and suggested her to contact editors/managing editor/webmasters regarding the issue. She then removed the smiley profile photo herself.

Sun,

Why are you dragging the issue? Vandana has already explained that the issue needed to be discussed with the webmasters, so it is taking some time.

Can't you just wait for some time till the matter is being discussed ? Why are you always making sarcastic remarks about editors & their working? Act like a senior member. Be helpful to others instead of finding faults with just everything the editors do.

Vandana,

Thank you for your response.

I should have checked if the image in reference still existed as your profile picture before posting my response. An image, describing the meaning of your name was showing as your profile picture until fairly recently.

Cartoon figures are showing as your profile picture alongside your name, in your response #572523 even as I type my response. Do not know if that is the advertisement that you are referring to, for clicking on it takes me to the page where names of all editorial members are listed.

With respect to #572337, I stand by my remark. Though no member is compelled to post a profile photo, in the case of the editorial staff that interacts regularly with members to me it seems inappropriate to see just a name, with no face. In mentioning this I do not imply that you or the other editors must post their pictures. I voiced my view for I would like to see the face of editors, interacting with me.

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]
    No life without Sun ¤

Ultimately, I can't resist the temptation further in taking part in the discussion of this so interesting topic. Once I kept a photo of a giant male gorilla as the profile picture in my Facebook account (where I write in pen name), because I thought that the personality of that gorilla matches that of mine. Some of my friends appreciated my choice, because they know me from my childhood. Some (female) friends objected my choice; but it was never a matter discussion.
    So far as smiley as profile picture in ISC is concerned, it is well within a Member's right to do so. If a member thinks it not appropriate to post his/her profile picture and also doesn't want to keep the space blank, he/she may use any image. Only it should be checked that the photo/image should not be obscene, which is definitely not in the case of smileys.
    P.S.: I am planning to bring back my good, old gorilla as profile picture in ISC as a symbol of freedom of expression.

No life without Sun ¤

No life without Sun ¤

ISC and Members,
    I am really smiling with the smiley subject that enhanced and multiplied my smile hundred times after reading the forum responses. Indeed, I am curiously waiting for a detailed order on the use of the smiley, whether smiley is permitted in a member's profile or not.

Waiting...waiting...waiting. ISC can take its own time to come out with its detailed order.

No life without Sun ¤

Mr Sun, agreed that ISC editors are not as capable as you are, happy? But it would be nice if you stop acting as a super editor. We all have the liberty to express our opinion and air our views but it is better to remember that no right is absolute; there will be moderation and restrictions to ensure that there is no chaos.
    Now coming to this thread, since the particular member has deleted the smiley from her profile, and ME (in addition to my response) has stated that a decision will be arrived at soon after completing discussion with the WMs, and also because the thread has started taking a different turn, I think it is time to lock this thread.
    The decision regarding smileys will be announced soon and till then the existing rule will apply; especially with reference to the deletion of smiley from her profile by the member. Please be patient.

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.