You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Olympics

Historic! Four female athletes will represent Saudi Arabia at Rio-2016!

Saudi Arabia will be sending four female athletes to Rio. The news was confirmed by the Saudi Olympic Committee. Sara Al-Attar, Lubna Al-Omair, Cariman Abu Al-Jadail and Wujud Fahmi will become only the second group of women Olympians to represent Saudi Arabia, where women are barred from driving and are subject to a very restrictive male guardianship system.

The announcements of the names of the male and female team members at Rio-2016 were made separately given the sensitivities regarding gender segregation and women's athletics in in the country.

This is indeed a historic and welcome decision for the women of that country!
    In the past, for the London Olympics, 2012 also Saudia Arabia had allowed two women to participate. Women in Saudi Arabia have to wear head to toe garments in public.
    Women are required to observe strict rules on gender segregation and obtain permission from a male guardian to travel, study or marry.
    Women's gyms are not allowed in Saudi Arabia.
    Sara Al-Attar is a veteran of the London games where she participated in the 800 meters event. Abu Al-Jadail will run in the 100 meters at Rio. Omair will participate in fencing and Fahmi in the under 52 kg judo event.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Good that Muslim community is also recognizing the importance of Olympic games and great that Saudi Arab is sending four women athletes this time to Rio. Hope that they shall perform well and bring glory to their country.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

I consider myself a feminist. I want today's women not only to compete alongside men but overthrow them.
    From the very beginning they had been oppressed and deprived of their rights.
    Hope that 21st century puts an end to their eternal oppression.

Sign In to post your comments