You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

The difference between 'Not encouraged' & ' Strictly Not Allowed'

Members,
    English is a foreign language. There is no end to learning good English. I have a simple doubt in the usage of two phrases.

1. We don't encourage the children to use cell phones in our school .
    2. We strictly don't allow the children to use cell phones in our school.

Can the English experts bring out the difference between the words encourage and allow?
    There is a lot difference between allow and encourage.
    Don't allow cell phones means completed restricted or banned of cell phones in schools.
    Don't encourage means there is a chance of keeping cell phones by the students, it's advised to not to keep cell phones in schools.

Regards,
    Naresh Kumar
    'Every bad situation will have something positive. Even a dead clock shows correct time twice a day.'

'We don't encourage the children to use cell phones in our school' indicates that in case students are caught with cell phones in the schools, they will not be rusticated and subjected to corporal punishment.
    On the other hand - 'We strictly don't allow the children to use cell phones in our school' indicates that the parents will be informed about the undisciplined behavior of the student and at least a warning will be issued on the first occasion. On a subsequent breach of the instructions, other kinds of penal action e.g. suspension from the school etc., may be considered by the school management.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Not encouraging something means it may be allowed under regular circumstances, but should not be overdone. Like in case of ISC guidelines itself, if we say we do not encourage HTML tags in forum section will mean that the HTML tags can be used by the members if they really need to emphasise a point in the discussion. But they should not indulge in overuse of the same.

If something is strictly not allowed, you will not be allowed to do the same. If caught you will be liable to severe punishment. Like copy pasting from some other site is strictly not allowed in ISC.

Live....and Let Live...!

The use of the two expressions becomes clear when the context is taken into consideration. If the user is desirous of maintaining the sanity and decorum the first one suits the best. However, if someone wants to show authority combined with arrogance, the second one can be used. Of course, without giving any thought to the feelings of the person concerned.
    Hard Work is the key to success.

By using the words "We don't encourage the children to use cell phones in our school " it is expressly understood that while some children had the privilege of using cell phones with permission not every one is allowed to do so. And by using "We strictly don't allow the children to use cell phones in our school" it is clearly understood that there is no compromise in the rules and for the management every one is the same. That means there is no preferential treatment to use cell phones by the select children.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

The first sentence means that the students are allowed to use cellphones in school in emergency or in uncalled for situation, but it is not usual practice. On the other hand, the second sentence signifies that the students are not at all allowed to use cellphones under any circumstances.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Sign In to post your comments