You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: IndiaStudyChannel.com

ISC's English experts don't turn up to discuss issues relating to English. Why?

Members,
    At ISC, there are few English experts who are highly qualified academically and also professionally. There are teachers and scholars who know better and best English. I hardly seem them in participating in discussions regarding the English language. Will their intrusion into such threads not help the ISCian to learn more better and the best English? Why are they shying away from such English related threads? What could be the reason?
    There are no officially recognised English experts in ISC as such. As a matter of fact, most of the ISCians learn from each other so many things, including the English language.
    The awardees of the 'Proficient Writer' badge also are under no obligation to essentially participate in any thread, be it regarding English language or otherwise. Participation in any thread is a prerogative of the member concerned.
    Moreover, the 'Proficient Writer' badge, as such cannot be equated to a certificate of proficiency in the English language.
    Writing contents is a specialization which is different than the proficiency in the language concerned.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Kailash,
    There may not be officially recognized English experts at ISC. But there are members who drum beat and say that they are well qualified and have good command over English. None can be better than them with regards to English language. They seldom appear in the forum. Though it is their prerogative to participate or not, it would be better if they participate to help the ISCian with poor English.

No life without Sun ¤

I have not seen anyone who "drum beats" about their expertise in the language. However, I do not think we have any so called experts here - even if I have missed anyone who claims himself/herself to be. Everyone of us here are normal citizens. I do not think the "experts" have no time to "waste" in such activities like being active on ISC.

I have always felt that language should not be a barrier when it comes to expressing yourself. You will just need the basic set of rules of the language to be proficient enough. Following the rules in a strict sense of the word will take away the real zeal a person has while discussing a topic. So, what we need is an expert author, not an English expert.

Live....and Let Live...!

Timmappa,
    As you are new, You may not be aware of the English expert members who used to drum beat and say that they are better with their English language due to their high qualification, profession and also their intelligence. They are the ISC proud, for the ISCian to feel proud.

No life without Sun ¤

Mr. Sun: I would like to state that it is the prerogative of the individual Members to participate in Forum discussion. If a Member does not take part in a discussion, we may safely assume that either he/she has missed the thread, or, he/she has nothing to say on the issue.
    Let's KISS (Keep It Simple and Stupid)!

P.S.: I am not an English expert. I somehow manage to express my feelings in English, although with extreme difficulty.

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Sun,

The answer to the query of your thread lies in your own words! For one, you are referring to it as an "intrusion". I would have used a word like guidance. Then there is your accusation about drum beating. So, you see, the entire tone of this thread itself is so off-putting, that those who are genuinely good at English would be extremely reluctant to help you out. What's more, whenever there has been a very healthy discussion on English grammar, you have popped up with responses that are bristling with the attitude that your stance is right & all the others are wrong. Even when some reasonable consensus is arrived at, you will post some pointless response, try to drag the discussion further for no reason and ensure too that your response is the last. This is my observation of the Improve English threads in which you are a participant or a thread initiator and I am stating all this since I assume you want an honest response to your query.

[Note: I updated this response 5 mins. later with a relevant thread link as a supporting example for what I stated in this response]

Regards,
    Vandana
    Managing Editor, IndiaStudyChannel.com

Vandana,
    You are right with your good observation. I am not a person to say yes and sit quite. I try to get the best from the discussion. English is a foreign language and we have a lot to learn, and there is no end to learning English. No one can be a Master of English unless he/she is a British. Even Britishers are not good at English as we are not good at our own mother tongue. It is not an accusation that I said that someone drum beats about their English and call it as their great strength. It is a fact that I heard the drum beat (you too might have) with my own eyes(Of course, we cannot hear the beat in a virtual site).

I used the word intrusion, not guidance because such English experts wait for an opportunity to check such threads and create problem in the form of guidance. That's what my experience at ISC.

No life without Sun ¤

Sun, I am not new to this site. You may please note the date of my joining the site from my profile. It is only that I was only browsing through almost two to three times a week since beginning. It is only recently that I have been an active contributor.

For your information, I have not made the comment about the need ( or no need, to be precise) for English experts based on what has happened in this site before. My contention was just that the language should be a medium for expressing your views in an easier way without the need for some stringent rules. Yes, we need to follow the rules - there should be no ambiguity about it, but there is no need to have an expert.

When you want someone to come online and respond to your threads, why exactly do you try to be sarcastic about them? I have observed you preferring to be sarcastic even in case of certain serious discussions. What does the word Drum beating imply?

Live....and Let Live...!

Sun,

with reference to #572780, if you treat the involvement of the so called "drum beaters" ( I guess I know whom you are directing at) as intrusion, the complete purpose of this thread gets defeated. On the one hand you want them to be active in the forum section, while at the same time call them intruders. Does it not appear contradictory to your own views?

Looks like you just love controversies and that is exactly why you have been creating those threads.

By the way. I am happy that though you were against the usage of at with English in the thread cited by Vandana, you have used it in the response above. Glad to see you have agreed that it is the correct usage albeit after three years!

Live....and Let Live...!

Timmappa,
    While in Rome, be a Roman, while in India, be an Indian, While in ISC, be an ISCian. Follow what has been agreed or approved by many. Yet I won't say that 'Good in English' is an incorrect English. When a person can be weak in Arithmatic, why not a person be weak in English or good in English? You can give a good thought to it.

@ I know you are an old guy but is a new guy now.

No life without Sun ¤

The usage is again wrong. A person cannot be weak in arithmetic. He is weak at arithmetic.

I hope you will learn understanding the basic rules in grammar rather than arguing with irrelevant ideas.

Live....and Let Live...!

Well for that matter every member who contributes here is the expert in English. If the author has particular doubt or clarification on the English subject, that can be shared here. By the way the author himself is the English expert and one cannot deny that. ISC is not labeling any member with expert tag. But when some members are having English knowledge one step ahead than others, their services must be solicited and utilized. Like a appeal made by the ME on old members to revisit this site again and be active, she can invite the experts of English on this site to revive their skill and present their contributions for the welfare of the scores of members here.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Deleted being duplicate.
    Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

I think one should learn to behave like a student when you have a doubt. One should come up with a doubt only when he has the inclination to learn.

Mr Sun, you must understand that your 'Improve English' threads are avoided by those who are better equipped simply because you turn into an examiner after posting a thread as a student. The simple thing I still fail to understand is why people take the circular route when ISC gives them the liberty to be straight. Playing a safe game? Arguing is quite different from arguing for the sake of it; it would be nice for both the parties if one realizes the difference.

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

Sign In to post your comments