You must Sign In to post a response.
Winner of Special prize in TOW contest for the week 24th July to 30th July’16
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Quality of Tupperware containers - Is it good for Health?

Are you looking for the health impact and side effects of using Tupperware products? Follow this discussion to learn more about the quality of plastic used and the side effects of Tupperware plastic containers.

Friends,

Everybody is using Tupperware because they are airtight containers and are spill proof. But, storing items in Tupperware is not good for health. There are many draw backs in using it. When we store a food in Tupperware for more than one or two days even in refrigeration, after two days when we open it will not be fresh. The food stuff will be the same as we store in normal plastic containers. Recently in one article I had read that Tupperware uses LDPE [low-density polyethylene plastic] or PP[ polypropylene plastic]. These are the plastics which are recycled. So recycled plastic containers are not so safe to use. They will surely lead to some health problems. So please be away from plastic bags or plastic containers. In my opinion, why to buy costly items which lead to health hazards when we use it?
    There are always some marketing wars going on. Nowadays many glassware companies have entered the fray and are trying to replace the market segment of the plastic containers companies.
    Bisphenol-A (BPA), a chemical is added to make clear, hard plastic and phthalates are added to make plastic soft and flexible. BPA and phthalates may leak into the food when the same is wrapped or placed in a plastic container and heated in a microwave.
    Such a migration is likely to be more in the case of fatty foods like meats and cheeses.
    Tupperware claims that they follow the recommendations and guidelines of Government regulations regarding materials that may be used in their products.
    They do not use polycarbonate in any children's products marketed in US and Canada.
    We have to consider the fact that only the container of the food in which it is stored, is not important. The ingredients of the food from which the same are made, are also important.
    Are we able to get uncontaminated raw materials to cook the food?

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Whether Tupperware are good for our health or not it is being used widely by the people and some have started the house hold business of this item and selling to their known people. That way we can see Tupperware available at every home. And about harmful effect of it is less known to the people. Now that the author has came up with the fact, people would get alerted and may avoid using it further. I just cannot understand one fact that when a thing is harmful to our health, then why the researchers and fact finders wont give their reactions or protest at the beginning itself. Now the Tupperware culture has been spread in to every home, removing it is difficult.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

gsadhiks,

I too use Tupperware products in my home. They appear to be good quality plastic even though I do not have a way to verify the material used to make them. You have mentioned Tupperware containers use recycled plastic. Do you have any authentic sources for that information?

Since I use their products a lot, I am eager to know all the health side effects and quality of the plastic used in Tupperware containers.

regards,
    Tony John
    Webmaster - IndiaStudyChannel.com

Mr. Tony John,
    I don't have any authentic sources, but read an article recently about Tupperware drawbacks and after that when I surfed in net about tupperware and the making of it, I found the same that was mentioned in the article so I thought let me aware the people from using Tupperware. I was also the user of tupperware but now gradually I am changing it.
    Finally
    I thank all author's for giving their valuable responses

Let us try to understand the issue in an organized manner.
    Plastics are categorized according to the material used in the manufacture in seven categories as follows -
    1. LDPETE - Low density polyethylene terephthalate ethylene used for soft drink, water, juice, detergent and cleaner containers etc.
    2. HDPETE - High density polyethylene terephthalate ethylene used for opaque plastic and milk jugs , shampoo and detergent bottles etc.
    3. PVC - Polyvinylchloride used for plastic squeeze bottles, cooking oil jars and detergent/window cleaner bottle etc.
    4. LDPE - Low density polyethylene used for grocery store bags, wraps, and some bottles.
    5. PP - Polypropylene used for straws, clouded plastic bottles and yogurt/syrup containers.
    6. PS - Polystyrene used for egg containers, disposable cups and bowls and carryout containers/opaque plastic cutlery etc.
    7. Others - Usually polycarbonates used in baby bottles, metal food can liners, large size gallon water bottles etc.
    The safest plastic for repeated use in storing food belongs to the categories 2, 4 and 5.
    Most of the Tupperware is manufactured by using category 5 and 5 plastics, though some products are made from polycarbonates i.e. category 7 plastic which has been found to leak BPA into food items after repeated use.
    However, it appears that the glass container brands like Pyrex are orchestrating an organized campaign to malign the Tupperware brand to make room for their products.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

A timely thread. My wife prefers Tupperware lunch boxes and other containers. I have to show her this thread. I have also gone through the erudite response of Mr. Kailash Kumar.

My only observation is that it is really very difficult to rinse/clean the Tupperware containers. The sign of edible oil almost always remains.

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Sign In to post your comments