You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

What makes the stuffed vegetable dishes special?

The more common stuffed vegetable dishes in north India are Stuffed 'bhindi' (okra or ladies finger), 'bharawan baigan' (stuffed eggplant or brinjal), 'paneer stuffed simla mirch' ( paneer stuffed capsicum), 'kalonji' (stuffed bitter gourd), 'bharwan tamatar' (stuffed tomatoes), 'bharwa tinda' (stuffed apple gourd)), 'stuffed torai' (stuffed sponge gourd) and potato stuffed green chilly etc., to name a few.
    Generally such delicacies are not cooked daily as a routine. Incidentally during festivals also, though many special dishes are prepared, but stuffed vegetables are not part of festival cuisine.
    Do stuffed vegetables are cooked and relished in all parts of India?
    What makes the stuffed vegetable dishes special?
    What I feel that we are habituated to the likes of stuffed items as it starts from Somasa. The presence of potato inside the samosa along with mutter makes it a great taste. Probably drawing inducement from that people like to have stuffed vegetables in some preparations. I am very ardent liker of stuffed brinjal. In my home my wife does not eat brinjal and hence it is not made. But when ever I happen to eat outside the home or at a function, I look for stuffed brinjal first. In Hyderabad those who have the habit of eating Bagara rice, the stuffed brinjal curry along with gravy is must and that goes with a good taste. Even rotis are taken with stuffed brinjal.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Mohan Ji - Samosa perhaps doesn't come under the category of stuffed vegetables as the potatoes are inside the outer deep fried wheat flour coverings. In the stuffed vegetables, the outer layer should be made of vegetables instead.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sign In to post your comments