How a country’s culture and etiquette is gaffe and offense in another? Know here
Want to know the how the same etiquette can differ in different cultures? Increase your knowledge about the various right & wrong etiquette of different countries from this informative forum thread.
Different countries have their own culture and etiquette. However, the behaviour, expression and attitude of a country's culture are offensive and gaffe in another country. Some of the examples are here.
1. Nodding head in Greece and Bulgaria is 'No' and shaking head is 'Yes'. So, while in Greece and Bulgaria don't say 'yes' when you mean to say 'no'.
2. Looking downward while speaking is a kind of respectful behaviour; however, it is offensive in some parts of African countries.
3. Greeting gestures are quite different in many countries, like shaking hands (in US, UK and most of the countries), bowing waist (like in China, Japan and other Asian countries), and putting hands together and bowing a little (as in India and Japanese countries), cheek kisses in France etc.
4. Opening gifts and presents in front of the giver is a kind rude and an act of disrespect in Japan and Columbia.
5. In Canada, if you burp after eating in restaurants means to 'thank you, the food was excellent'.
6. In Indonesia, showing finger other than thumb is kind of rude, no matter even if you're showing the direction.