You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Are skilled technicians earning more than the run of the mill kind engineering degree holders?

Just consider how much we have to pay to a skilled technician like a plumber, electrician, carpenter, electronic gadget repairmen or a motor/bike mechanic for getting even a minor job done. They charge visiting fee and earn in replacing the defective spare part also. Generally, all such assignments are only part time jobs in nature.
    A skilled mechanic is always in demand and remains busy so much that often they are never able to deliver the services in time and require few reminders/follow up to finish the jobs.
    No wonder, such mechanic may be earning up to Rs. 20,000 or even more a month.
    The fresh run of the mill kind of engineering graduates, on the other hand, are finding employment
    worth around Rs. 15,000 per month.
    Are skilled technicians earning more than the run of the mill kind engineering degree holders?
    The earnings of a mechanic increase slowly. On the other hand, the earnings of an engineer increase relatively fast. So, the engineer may start with Rs. 15,000 but may end up with high amount of salary if he/she is qualified. Now a days, some clerks in banks are earning more than Rs. 15,000. The situation is similar to the Achilles Paradox. An engineer may start slow but ultimately ends up as the winner. This is my opinion on the thread.

Let us continue learning.

I am totally agreeing with the author that if a person has the skill of giving service to others, the earning potential is more. The skilled persons like Masons, Electricians, Plumbers, Mechanics are the most earning persons. In this regard I would also include Tailors and Barbers. On a minimum they are earning 500 per day and more. Coming to tailors they are the concealed earners. They keep on stitching and show to the world that nothing is earned. Like wise a barber opens his shop at 6 am and close it at 10 pm and having three chairs, he can do 12 cutting plus shavings in one hour. So one hour earning is roughly 1000 and even two employees salary goes the owner is much benefited. Remember the earnings of tailors and barbers are without tax and they are amassing wealth. One barber in Bengaluru has 9 luxury cars and he is really enjoying the life of a icon. So by seeing all this spending too much on Engineering and earning paltry is seems to be waste.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Incidentally, no formal education is required in case of most of the skilled workers though nowadays there are many ITIs which offer systematic education and training in such fields.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sign In to post your comments