You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Are you willing to fail so that you can learn from your mistakes?

The great Nelson Mandela had said - 'I never lose. I either win or learn'.
    Tal Ben Shahar, the famous Harvard professor has written that - 'We either learn to fail or we fail to learn'.
    Failures are an inescapable part of the life of successful persons. We learn to walk by falling and we learn to talk by babbling.
    In the words of John F. Kennedy - 'Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly'.
    Are you willing to fail so that you can learn from your mistakes?
    By the way no one would be working for the failure in life. Every one plans and executes things for the success at first place. But we must have the courage enough to face the failures. Never laugh at those who have failed. They have participated and was in the race with us and some untoward incident might have forced them not to have performed. For that we cannot take that as the failure. Failure is the success step for the future. Those who have failed in the life has learned immensely from the issues and episodes and they would have so well versed even the successful person cannot narrate or write a thesis on his recovery from the failure to success.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

One must be ready to learn from his failures but I doubt whether one should be willing to fail so that he can learn. As Mohan has rightly said, no one would do anything with an aim to fail. We put in efforts so that we succeed but in case we fail, we should be ready to accept the same and must analyse as to where we had gone wrong and take steps to correct ourselves and then move ahead.
    Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

Many people in the society participate in tasks seemingly impossible to win e.g. participation in a marathon or semi-marathon race for a social cause organised from time to time by certain organizations in major cities. Despite knowing that the will not win, such people participate for learning.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

"In order to succeed, you must first be willing to fail - and you must have the courage to go for it anyway." – Michael Bloomberg

Kailash - There is a deep message in your post, which is being missed. I hope people reading your post understand the significance of the message, instead of being patronizing.

Not all tasks people undertake guarantee a win or success. There are many things we do in life where winning or being successful is quite implausible. Yet, we choose to go ahead. When failure is eminent and yet we do not back out, we welcome failure. It takes great courage to knowingly welcome failure. We are willing to fail because such failures broaden our horizons, they change our perspective in life, and they enrich us and have a lesson for us. These failures are our stepping stones.

As for me, yes, I have willingly failed on many occasions.

A fool will always try to make sense of his nonsense!

Failures are essential for a person to be successful. If a person didn't fail before, he/she doesn't know how to face a problem and will suffer when there is a problem. If we can see everything in a positive way, we can be happy. Suppose we fail in an exam, we should think that we can learn more and won't fail once again. Learning from failures leads to success. But, ignoring failures leads to a complete failure. I didn't willingly fail anytime but I may do that if situations demand. 'If you win, enjoy. If you lose, learn so that you won't lose again.' is what I follow.

Let us continue learning.

Setbacks are perhaps the real teachers. They stir the soul and nucleate the process of excellence. Nowadays, the colleges are churning out incompetent degree holders primarily because the students are prone to adopt shortcuts for success.
    We love our children and family members unconditionally without expecting anything in return. In such cases, we are willing to fail but have to love our children in any case.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Juana,

I think it is wrong to call the members in this thread as patronizing. As you often say, everyone is just giving their opinion & we should not take things personally!

Regards,
    Vandana
    Managing Editor, IndiaStudyChannel.com

Vandana,

Quite a quagmire of opinions - yours, mine and everyone else's!

A fool will always try to make sense of his nonsense!

Nobody is willing to fail: Yes, nobody! However everybody does taste the bitter taste of failure more than once. Some people learn from the failure, some don't.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

We accept failures and learn from them, we do put in our efforts knowing very well that we will not succeed but do we think of success when an attempt is being made? That is my point. We gain the strength to attempt only because we see at least a rare possibility of winning. If we are to anticipate failures and willingly go for it, I am not sure whether we would be able to put our mind and body into it. The example of marathon etc cited by Mr kailash @ #573412 is a different issue altogether. Do we jump into waters if we do not know how to swim? I doubt!

Juana at #573422, could you clarify your take on patronizing?

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

Sign In to post your comments