You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: India

Do you think GST bill will pass this time?

Every year, we used to hear that the Goods and Services Tax (GST) Bill will be passed this year. But it couldn't materialize over the years even though UPA Government had majority in both the Houses. Finally, the Bill was passed last year in Lok Sabha because of current Government's majority in that House. But it doesn't have majority in the Upper House of the Parliament. Congress wants to reinstate its lost glory in Andhra Pradesh by bringing in Special Category status issue in Rajya Sabha and there was a heated discussion over the issue in that House. So, it may link that issue to GST Bill now. In this context, do you think GST Bill will be passed this time?
    I would prefer to discuss the merits and/or demerits of the GST bill after it is finally passed instead of indulging in speculations. The politics has never been predictable. Moreover many issues involved are generally not available in the public domain for a common man to know about the real causes, though the nosy journalists try their best to get a scoop about everything.
    What generally appears in the media is only the tip of the iceberg. The Modi-Shah team's priority is only to continue the Modi regime at least till up to Modi attains the age of 75 years. All other issues including GST bill, and Kashmir issue can wait.
    Many things depend on the status of the land scam cases involving Robert Vadra.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I think much spade work has been done and the parties are being convinced and contacted for the smooth passage of the bill. One thing is sure, with this bill the consumer would be the great beneficiary as the rates of the products would come down as every state is charging heavily as per their wish and fancy. So keeping the larger help to the consumers and have total control over the states to decide on pricing, the centralized control is necessary and that is possible through GST. The opposition must allow the bill to pass and in future if there is any requirement of amendments to the bill, that can be done when ever the Parliament is in session.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

The Goods and Services Tax (GST) is believed to be the single most powerful tax reform that India will see. The objective of the Taz is to break down state boundaries and to end the headache of multiple taxes. So Central Excise Duty, VAT, Service Tax, Swachh Bharat Cess, Octroi, Luxury Tax, Special Additional Duty, Entry Tax, etc. will be substituted with one GST.

Today the Bill is being discussed in the Rajya Sabha. Congress has toned down its opposition to the Bill. Former Finance Minister, P Chidambaram, has demanded that the GST rate cannot cross 18%. If the Bill passes through the Upper House (where the NDA is not in majority), it will go back to the Lok Sabha for re-evaluation.

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Partha sir, the other thing is the majority required is not a simple majority but it will be a 2/3 rd majority as the Bill will be an Amendment to the Constitution and after that it has to be ratified by half of the states, which may not be a big issue as most of the states have supported GST. So let us wait and see how Congress will play its political games in the days to come.

As per the morning information, it is said that the political parties in AP are furious with BJP for refusing to give special status to new state and thus a revenge would be taken by all parties in AP to discard the bill.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

#573900: Yes, as all states are involved, 2/3rd majority is required to pass the bill. This is the provision of the Constitution of India.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

What was being discussed in Rajyasabha today was not GST bill. But it was the first step in bringing the GST bill. The Constitutional amendment bill.

Center did not have any power to make laws on goods till today, hence passing GST bill was not possible, as constitution would not allow center to TAX the goods or sale of gods, which was subject of state tax. So every state had its own sales tax / VAT acts. Bringing a uniform tax on goods and services is the main aim of GST.

Today Rajya sabha has passed the Amendment to Constitution allowing center to tax on goods. The paves the way for GST bill to be presented to Parliament, probably in October/November this year during the Winter session.

- Manjunath Bhat

The Amendment Bill is more important than the original Bill itself as the Amendment Bill requires 2/3 rd majority. Passing of the original Bill may be just a formality now. If the Government wants, it can bring the original Bill as a Money Bill since it deals with taxation. The Money Bill can only be discussed in Rajya Sabha and it cannot be put to vote. So, Congress can't do anything now if the Bill is brought as a Money Bill.

Even after being passed in the Rajya Sabha, the GST bill will have to be passed by at least 50% of the state assemblies to make it a law. After that, the states will have to make their own laws to implement the GST and necessary infrastructure will have to be created. It will take quite some time in getting it actually implemented.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Finally, the bill has been passed in the Rajyasabha with no opposition except ADMK which walked out and abstained from voting. I am sure, GST will have its way. The seed has been sown. Now it is time to nurture and grow.

Why not we have an' Active GD' on the topic 'GST .' Will ISC Admin look into my proposal?

No life without Sun ¤

Sign In to post your comments