You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

How many of us remember this great Sardar ?

13th April, 1919: He was present at Jallianwalla Bagh. He was deeply affected by the massacre. Throughout his life he could not forget the painful event even for a moment.

He held Michael O'Dwyer, the then Lt.-Governor of Punjab, responsible for the massacre during the Baisakhi celebration.

13th March, 1940: He shot Michael O'Dwyer dead during a public rally in London to avenge the Jallianwalla Bagh massacre.

31st July, 1940: He was hanged at Pentonville prison and was buried at prison premises.

Today is his death anniversary. Let us bow our head to the sacred memory of Udham Singh, who avenged Jallianwalla Bagh massacre.
    A district, Udham Singh Nagar, was named after the name of Sardar Udham Singh in the state of Uttarakhand in the year 1995 by the then Mayawati Government.
    Udham Singh went on a 42 day hunger strike in Brixton Prison while awaiting trial and had to be forcibly fed. He was hanged at Pentonville Prison on 31.07.1940 at the age of 40 years.
    Udham Singh's remains were exhumed and repatriated to India at the request of MLA Sadhu Singh Thind in the year 1974. He was later cremated at his birthplace Sunam in Punjab and his ashes were scattered in the river Sutlej.
    The day of his martyrdom is observed as a public holiday in Punjab and Haryana.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Remembering aside, I didn't even hear about the great person Sardar Udham Singh till now. After reading this thread, I googled him and found much more information about him. I know about the Jallianwalla Bagh Massacre but I don't know who murdered the cruel Michael O'Dwyer, who deserved it for what he has done. I pay Sardar Udham Singh my respects.

Let us cotinue learning.

#573526: It is not your fault. This has become the state of education in respect of India's freedom movement. We know about Mohandas Gandhi and a particular family. We don't know about any other freedom fighter. In Bengal, because of the influence of Netaji, students used to learn about some other freedom fighters of other regions, but nowadays the condition has also changed. Nobody knows about any other freedom-fighter.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Freedom fighters like Sardar Udham Singh are a class apart. Biography of such independence luminaries should be a part of the school curriculum across India.
    However, if we go by the list of people drawing pensions meant for freedom fighters, then it is likely to be quite revealing. There are the Central Samman Pension and other welfare measures for the freedom fighters implemented by the Freedom Fighters & Rehabilitation Division of the Department of States of Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Yes, I do know about him Partha. He is one of the revolutionary freedom fighter.

I do agree with you partially. The thing is our country is such a vast that the story of freedom struggle's details can not be accommodate in just one history book. May be this is why states syllabus help to know their own state's freedom fighters name. If everything we try to accommodate in a history book of school syllabus, there might be only half of the knowledge can be passed.

But yes, we should continue our great struggle of freedom in our school syllabus.

"Any man who stands for progress has to criticize, disbelieve and challenge every item of the old faith." - Sardar Bhagat Singh

Sign In to post your comments