You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Has the crimes against Dalit's risen these days or its the reporting of these issues?

The issue of the crimes against Dalit's and unjust still present in our society even after so many years of independence we haven't got independence from this mentality of social injustice, which is the cruel reality of our society and which has been there from centuries, and lot of laws and reforms has been done to eradicate this cruelty from our society.
    But these days every other news channel we watch there is a incident of crime against Dalit's or debates going on the television.This media coverage leads to two conclusions and perception in the mind of Indian public which are:
    1.Either these crimes really arisen these days during tenure of this government?
    which all opposition parties also blames the present government for its image of Hindutava and this government is responsible for supporting all this worsen situation of country
    If it is so its more worsen situation for our society.

2.Or the reporting of these issues has increased which was very less in the past, but now as the peoples know their rights and aware about the power that a democratic nation provides them they report such issues?
    and thus they are raising their voice against such cases which seems to be a kind of positive thing and thus causing peoples to get justice as such media coverage leads to send these cases into fast track courts.

Whatever the case peoples behind such mentality and behind heinous crimes need to be punished by the law.
    What is your perception to all the situation is their any third conclusion which can be drawn from these incidents?
    There are certain keywords which catch the attention of viewers in the media and thus contribute in increasing TRP of the channels.
    'Dalit' , 'rape', 'terrorist', 'corruption' etc. are such keywords.
    I personally don't think the crime against Dalits has increased in the recent times. As a matter of fact, the awareness has increased so much that the people now think thrice before even thinking to act in a derogatory manner against Dalits.
    Recently in Uttar Pradesh, expelled BJP leader Daya Shankar Singh was arrested and put behind bars for passing derogatory comments against Mayawati. A FIR under the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act was earlier registered against him.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I think nobody dares even to make comments on dalits etc,. To support my point, I am mentioning a real life incident here. A boy and girl in our engineering college fell in love. One day, the girl beat the guy with a rod and claimed that the boy tried to rape her. This became a big issue in our college. Then, the boy showed their photos together to everyone and also proved that he didn't do anything wrong. The girl then said that the boy and his friends tried to gang rape her and the photos he is showing were morphed. A friend of mine told that the girl did this only to avoid him. After listening all this, I thought that the girl was a big idiot and should be punished for assault. But, that didn't happen as she belongs to you-know-which caste. Instead, the boy was charged with attempt rape and put in jail. He was later released though. I think incidents like this happen everywhere. So, nobody dares to commit crimes against dalits these days. The ones who do are brave but are likely to end up in jail.

Let us continue learning.

I agree that with the response #5723524 that sometimes laws are misused and often society watches only one side of coin.
    And media trials often misproject the situation and puts only the majority or upper caste peoples on the wrong side but no one really cares about the people who suffers in some situations.
    But still the crimes are happening in our society and the only people seems wrong are upper caste peoples?
    why is it so are they really wrong or it is just the result of politicization of the issues?
    what could be done to prevent such misuse of laws?

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

Since dalits demand more attention in the society and they are real vote bank for all the political parties, small atrocity on them would be magnified on National level. There are courts, organizations to safe guard their interest and those who say some thing intentionally would be punished severely. Hence this special law accorded to them would grab the attention of media. And the opposition parties have dubbed BJP as the wrong doer in this regard and little issue is blown to the maximum. The Kanniya Lal case was the best example. No body wants to suppress the rights of dalits, but that should not be done by taking heavy action on others just for nothing.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Though it may sound as Utopian to be seen as a crime free country and crime free society, I wish and pray for that. I always stand to condemn crimes against anyone; humans even animals too.

From the pattern of things reported, I have my own doubts about some vested interests exploiting stray incidents and whipping up emotions of naïve and innocent people and 'manufacturing' more ' after shocks'.
    While the government should do all its best to nab the real culprits and also the rumour mongers and vested interests and exploiters, it should also see that people get correct information and be transparent in its actions.
    We as citizen should be alert and cautious and not fall victims to rumours and sectarian exploitation and be calm and balanced in our reactions. Government also should put in place mechanisms to prevent recurring of such incidents against vulnerable sections.

==================================
    Let us keep faith on ourselves and work sincerely, not leave everything to fate.

Sign In to post your comments