You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

How good is your Hindi? This is for the members from non-Hindi speaking states.

Members,
    Members from south India are compelled or forced to learn Hindi. Only very few percentage of people from the southern states speak good Hindi. The members from TN, Kerala, AP, Telangana and Karnataka speak reasonably good Hindi but not very accurate Hindi. They lack grammar. Few writes, reads and speak Hindi well.

Can the learned members from the non-Hindi speaking state post the equivalent Hindi sentences for the following English sentences. (Use Roman Hindi - e.g. Mem - Kartha - liktha etc)

1. Where are you going?
    2. What are you doing now?
    3. When will you go to New Delhi?
    4. Have you taken your lunch?
    5. Are you listening to the radio speeches of Mr. Modi?
    6. Did you watch the movie 'Kabali'?
    7. Where are you staying?
    8. What is time now?
    9. Why are you crying?
    10. Please take rest after answering these questions.

@ I expect only members from non-Hindi speaking states to respond to this thread.
    What is this "Mem - Kartha" in Hindi or Roman Hindi? And what is this Roman Hindi? Can you elaborate a bit please?

This thread is purely meant for the members from Non-Hindi speaking states only. (My foot note refers) Roman Hindi is the Hindi words written with English Alphabets.
    Mem means - I, (Mem Padthaa hoom) - I am reading.
    Kartha means - doing , (Mem Karthaa Hoom) I am doing
    Liktha means -writing. (Mem Liktha hoom) I am writing.

Such writing might differ from person to person.

No life without Sun ¤

1.thum kahaan jha rahe ho?
    2.thum kya kar rahe ho?
    3.jab thum nayi dhilli jhana jayegaa
    4.kya thum dhopahar khaana le liya?
    5.kya thum Modhi ji ke rediyo bhaashan sune raha hai?
    6.aap kabali film dhekne aayaa?
    7.thum kahaan rahate hom ?
    8.ab samay kya hai?
    9.thum kyon cheekh rahe ho?
    10.in savaalon ke javaab dhene ke baad krupaya aaraam kar lo.

Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

Mr Sun,

Firstly, thank you for the info that Roman Hindi is the Hindi words written with English Alphabets.

Scondly, I am from a non-Hindi speaking state. Do you 've any issues with that?

Thirdly, STOP MURDERING HINDI. Had this thread been regarding spoken Hindi, I would not have posted a response in this thread. But this thread is about written Hindi. Why do you want to fill ISC's pages up with your personal Hindi, which is nowhere near the actual Hindi? What good it would do to ISC or to its members if the information posted on this page is wrong? Will Google display this page in its search? I don't think so.

The examples given by you in response #573497 are completely wrong. If the examiner's Hindi is wrong then how can he check the students Hindi?! Beyond my level of understanding. Please refer to the examples provided by you:-

~~~~Mem means - I, (Mem Padthaa hoom) - I am reading.

-> 'Mem' is not the Roman Hindi of 'I'. It should be 'main'
    -> 'Padthaa ' is not the Roman Hindi of reading'. It should be 'pard raha'
    -> 'hoom' is not the Roman Hindi of 'am' or 'is'.
    -> There is nothing like 'Mem Padthaa hoom' in Hindi. It should be 'Main pardta hun'
    -> ' I am reading' does not mean 'Mem Padthaa hoom' or even 'Main pardta hun'. The Roman Hindi equivalent of ' I am reading' will be 'Main pard raha hun'

~~~Liktha means -writing. (Mem Liktha hoom) I am writing.

Similar as above, 'Liktha' should be 'likhta' & the Roman Hindi for 'I am writing.' will be 'Main likh raha hun'

~~~~Kartha means - doing , (Mem Karthaa Hoom) I am doing

Similar as above, 'Kartha' should be 'Karta ' & the Roman Hindi for 'I am writing.' will be 'Main Kar raha hun'

So, you first you learn yourself & then start being an examiner or teacher. There is no point in teaching others wrong Hindi or filling up ISC's pages with crap!

1. Where are you going? Aap kahan ja rahe ho ?
    2. What are you doing now? Aap kya kar rahe ho ?
    3. When will you go to New Delhi? Aap Dilli kay liye kab nikal rahe ho ?
    4. Have you taken your lunch? Aap ney kana kaa liya ?
    5. Are you listening to the radio speeches of Mr. Modi? Kya aap Modi ji ki bashan radio ke madhyam sun rahe ho ?
    6. Did you watch the movie 'Kabali'? Kya aap ney Kabali dekka ?
    7. Where are you staying? Aap kahan rahatey ho?
    8. What is time now? Ab samay kay horaha hai ?
    9. Why are you crying? Aap kyon ro rahe ho ?
    10. Please take rest after answering these questions. Yeh prashnohn ki jawab ke baadh vishram kijeye ?

K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Members,
    Please understand that this thread is not to teach good Hindi or bad Hindi to someone. I am not good at Hindi. This thread is mainly to bring out the different ways of handling Hindi by the people from the non-Hindi speaking states. I have no intention to murder or give life to a particular language. We can only write a language at ISC, can't speak.

Now I restrict this thread to receive responses from members belonging to Tamilnadu, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh Telangana, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Odisha and West Bengal only. Members from other states can just watch this thread and refrain from responding. If at all they have an urge to respond, they may respond to my 10 questions with their knowledge rather than questioning my authority or any clarification or with an intention to poke unnecessarily. Let this good thread be not spoiled.

The word "I" can be written in Roman Hindi as Mein, Main, Mem, Meim, Maim etc (there is no definite spelling rule when we write a language with English alphabets) It is not easy for the people from non-Hindi speaking states to have a set spelling for Roman language, especiallly for the south Indians.

No life without Sun ¤

Sun,

Firstly, I don't think it is right to post restrictions in this thread on who should post & who should not. Secondly, if the aim is not for members to learn correct Hindi then what exactly is the point of this thread may I ask?!

Regards,
    Vandana
    Managing Editor, IndiaStudyChannel.com

Mr Sun,

I am from Tiruppur in Tamil Nadu. Any issue with that?

Gypsy,
    If you are from really Tiruppur of Tamilnadu, Kindly post your response in the same manner as Saroja and Mohan posted. No superfluous/irrelevant/unnecessary information to be posted.

I have already said it in my # 573549.

@ If you sincerely consider yourself as a person belonging to Non-Hindi speaking state, I have no objection. But the information available in ISC Map indicates that you are from Delhi.

No life without Sun ¤

Vandana,
    My intention is to get the words from members belonging to Non-Hindi speaking states first, and thereafter to raise a new thread to seek the right language from the people belonging to Hindi speaking states.

@ Ascertain, compare and declare - is the policy to be understood, I would say.

No life without Sun ¤

1. Where are you going?- Aap kahan ja rahe hain?
    2. What are you doing now?-Abhi aap kya kar rahen hain?
    3. When will you go to New Delhi?-Aap kab nai dilli ja rahe hain?
    4. Have you taken your lunch?- Kya aap lunch (lunch is used in common parlance) kar liya hain?
    5. Are you listening to the radio speeches of Mr. Modi?-Kya aap Modi-ji ka bhashan sunte hain?
    6. Did you watch the movie 'Kabali'?-Kya aap 'Kabali' dekhe hain?
    7. Where are you staying?-Aap kaha rah rahe hain?
    8. What is time now?-Abhi kya samai ho raha hain?
    9. Why are you crying?-Aap kiyun ro rahe hain?
    10. Please take rest after answering these questions-Kripaya uttar dene ki paschat bishram kar lijiye.

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Mr Sun,

Did you ever ask me where do I belong to? If my memory serves me right, you never did that. You drew your own .......... (put the adj you like over there) conclusions about that.

For your info, I am putting up at Avinashi Road, Tiruppur. It is around 50 Kms from Erode, aound 50 Kms from Kovai. There is another road named PN Road, which is parallel to Avinashi Road. Have you ever tasted the food at India House. The food is really good here. Need more info? Shall I give you my mobile number?

Refer to your words:- Kindly post your response in the same manner as Saroja and Mohan posted. No superfluous/irrelevant/unnecessary information to be posted.

Mr Sun, my response is not superfluous/irrelevant/unnecessary. It is to tell you that Hindi is not your forte and you should not dabble in that.

So, you better watch your language or comments.

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]
    No life without Sun ¤

You yourself spoiled your thread, Mr Sun, with your usual attitude that you know everything.

Please do what you are good at & do not make ridiculous comments about me. Mind your language otherwise........

Members,
    I am closing this thread. A new thread will be raised with the answers received from K Mohan(AP), Saroja(TN) and Partha (WB). Kindly cooperate to have a pleasant discussion there.

My sincere thanks to Mohan, Saroja and Partha for their gentle and valuable responses to my post. And my deepest condolences to Gypsy for his irrelevant responses.

@ Editors: Lock this thread, please.

No life without Sun ¤

Editors,

Please take note of the words of Mr Sun -my deepest condolences to Gypsy for his irrelevant responses. .

Sun,
    Being a regular member, you are not allowed to put restrictions on members as to who can post a response, or who cannot. If your threads run into rough weather, it is only because of your arrogance. and the kind of language you use.
    If the aim of this thread is to propagate the proper usage of Hindi, you should have invited both non Hindi and Hindi areas. It would have helped the members from non Hindi areas to learn the proper usage. You have been assuming that people from non Hindi areas cannot speak chaste Hindi, which is not the case.

In my own case, I am originally from Karnataka, and now settled down in Goa. Most of the people in Karnataka ( especially from Karwar region where I belong to) cannot speak proper Hindi, but my Hindi tends to be at par with the chaste one spoken in the so called Hindi belt. Before you argue that it is because of being in Goa I have an improvement in the language, let me Hindi spoken in Goa is one of the worst kind( pardon me if I am insulting anyone from Goa - but facts remain facts).

Live....and Let Live...!

Having said that my responses are -
    1. Where are you going? Aap Kahan Jaa Rahe Ho?
    2. What are you doing now? Aap Abhi Kya Kar Rahe Ho?
    3. When will you go to New Delhi? Aap Dilli Kab Jaa Rahe Ho?
    4. Have you taken your lunch? Kya Aapne Dopahar Khaana Kar Liya?
    5. Are you listening to the radio speeches of Mr. Modi? Kya Aap Modiji Ke Radio Bhashan Sun Rahe Ho?
    6. Did you watch the movie 'Kabali'? Kya Aapne Kabali movie Dekhi?
    7. Where are you staying? Aap Kahan Rehte Ho?
    8. What is time now? Ab Waqt Kya Hai?
    9. Why are you crying? Aap Kyon Ro Rahe Ho?
    10. Please take rest after answering these questions.
    In Sawalon Ke Jawaab Dene Ke Baad Kripaya Aaram Kijiye.

Live....and Let Live...!

Timmappa,
    Please understand that restrictions too can be imposed to maintain discipline in a thread. It should be taken in a good spirit and as a good instruction or request from the author to follow. I have some reason behind saying it for a particular section of members. I don't want to see the thread in a haphazard manner.

Anyway, I never wanted to continue this thread. Even after closing this thread and telling 'End to all', you had the urge to get into this thread to have your say. I couldn't rest after seeing a response from a good member from Karnataka. Kindly post your answers to my 10 questions in my next thread. Awaiting.

Members,
    A special request from the author. Kindly avoid posting any further response to this thread. Now I am closing this thread forever

No life without Sun ¤

Timmappa,
    I could see your answer after posting my last response. Your answer noted.

See you all in my next thread. Until then"Good Bye' Members.

No life without Sun ¤

1. Where are you going? (Aap kahan ja rahe hain?)
    2. What are you doing now? (Abhi aap kya kar rahe hain?)
    3. When will you go to New Delhi? ( Aap New Delhi kab jayenge?)
    4. Have you taken your lunch? (Kya aap ne lunch le liya?)
    5. Are you listening to the radio speeches of Mr. Modi? ( Kya aap Mr. Modi ki radio speech sun rahe hain?)
    6. Did you watch the movie 'Kabali'? (Kya aap ne Kabali movie dekhi thi?)
    7. Where are you staying? (Aap kahan rah rahe hain?)
    8. What is time now? (Abhi kya time hai?)
    9. Why are you crying? (Aap ro kyon rahe hain?)
    10. Please take rest after answering these questions. (Kripya, in prashno ka uttar dene ke bad thoda vishram karen.)

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Mr Sun,

Why don't you tell us who has given the correct answers to your ten sentences till now? First let us see your Hindi!!!

Kailash, even you 've not provided all-correct answers.

Gypsy - I am aware of the shortcomings in my response. I attempted to provide a quick conveyance of the intended messages instead of transliterating the same academically.
    One major bone of contention is the equivalent of the English word 'you' in the Hindi language . It may be 'aap', 'tum' or 'tu' depending upon the local cultural practices.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Kailash,

The person who knows about his own shortcomings is an intelligent person. Well, that is what I think!

No issues with your answers as they are the best so far! I am waiting for the teacher's answers to enlighten myself about the correct Hindi.

I think I wasted all those years in school. I should 've joined ISC straightaway to learn good Hindi. Anyways, better late than never, don't you think so?

I am locking this thread now with a sincere advice to the author that he should desist from raising another thread related to this topic. ISC has English as its base language and let it be so.

Learning a language is not a problem nowadays with so many bilingual books available in the market. If the intention of the author was to learn about how Hindi is spoken in different places, I don't think a discussion in this forum would bring out any positive results. One will have to like a language to learn more about the same.

And, I request our respected members to keep away personal grudges and to be positive.

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.