You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: India

Need of renaming the Indian cities after British Imperial Government

In India, you might have come across several city/town names that are wrongly spelt in English. Here I'm giving some examples, Kolkata as Calcutta, Dalehi as Delhi, Katak as Cuttack, Bengaluru as Bangalore, Illahabad as Allahabad, Varanasi as Benaras, Brahmapur as Berhampur, Puducherry as Pondicherry, Jabalpur as Jubbulpore, Kanpur as Cawnpur, Kadapa as Cuddapah, Belegavi as Belgaum, Hubbali as Hubli, Shivamogga as Shimoga, Kochi as Cochin, Vadodara as Baroda, Ballari as Bellari, Vijawada as Bejawada, Thrissur as Trichur, and many more.

Similarly, some state names also modified which were wrongly spelt by British govt.; the names are Kerala (Travancore-Cochin), Karnataka (Mysore State), Madhya Pradesh (Madhya Bharat), Uttarakhand (Uttaranchal), Odisha (Orissa). Renaming of Indian cities begin in 1947 after end of the British Imperial. Still there are many small towns, cities and villages which are wrongly spelt and it is embarrass to local people while writing in English.

What you say on this concert?
    Some of the examples of renaming/re-spelling of Indian states after the British rule are as follows -
    1. United Provinces to Uttar Pradesh (1950)
    2. East Punjab to Punjab (1950)
    3. Mysore to Karnataka (1973)
    4. Hyderabad to Andhra Pradesh (1956)
    5. Madras State to Tamilnadu (1969)
    6. Orissa to Odisha (2011)
    7. Travancore-Cochin to Kerala (1956)
    8. Madhya Bharat to Madhya Pradesh (1959)
    9. Uttaranchal to Uttarakhand (2007)
    The West Bengal state legislature in the year 2011, had approved the change of name of the state West Bengal to Paschim Banga, but it could not be implemented so far. Now, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has again taken up the issue to change the name of the state from West Bengal to 'Bengal' in English and 'Banga or Bangla' in Bengali.
    Mamata Banerjee had often complained that she rarely gets a chance to speak in meetings because West Bengal comes at the very end of the list of 29 states.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Even I believe that the renamed Indian towns and cities must be correctly addressed with their original names, the names that the native Indians provided. Several people might be of an opinion that a name is just a name and may not have any significance to it. They may even argue that since we are used to the anglicized names, why take the trouble to change them. The British, who colonized our country, just saw it as a conquered land and went about renaming the places which they couldn't pronounce well. Mumbai became Bombay, Kanya Kumari became Cape Comorin and so on. They never bothered about the significance of the place or how their renaming effected the Indians. Who could question them? It is also fascinating that in those days India was not divided into so many states. The North West province, Bombay presidency, Madras presidency and the Bengal presidency constituted our country with even parts of foreign countries like Myanmar, Singapore and Sri Lanka being included in the above presidencies. After independence States came into existence. Places were divided on various factors and clubbed into a particular state. A new developing country was born and now situations have changed. India is no longer a weak developing country anymore. We are more educated and live a better life pioneering in almost all fields.
    And I see nothing wrong in correcting the anglicized names back to their original names and restoring the places with their lost glory. For example Berhampur, even I wondered what a meaningless name it was until I came to know that it was actually called Bramhapur, meaning the abode of Lord Bramha . Kanyakumari named after the goddess was being called Cape Comorin by the British. West Bengal also gives an ignorant reader an illusion that Bengal is in the Western part of India.

The renaming of places and areas were done as the demand of the locals and the government as to heed for it. For example the Cuddapah district was named after YSR district and earlier it was Kadapa.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

After all, it is the name of a place. A noun, especially a name, can be anything that is pronounceable. The name of a city doesn't affect its people in any way. It is a passion to have the city name changed. It is mainly the politicians who go behind the name change. What's wrong or what was wrong with the earlier names like Delhi, Calcutta, Bangalore, Madras, Cochin, Quilon, Banaras, Bombay etc? We could pronounce the names without any mistake. I really do not appreciate the name change in our country.

If we can embrace the English and live like a British, and feel proud to speak in English, why not we accept the names adopted by the Imperial British? English has become bread and butter of our life, and it is also part and parcel of our life.

Calcutta sounds better than Kolkata, Bangalore is stylish than Bengaluru, Madras was attractive than Chennai. Quilon was modern with a Q name. Bombay an ideal and great name.

No life without Sun ¤

I do agree with the views of Mr.Sun with regard to name changing of various cities and towns. It was in the air that the name of Andhra Pradesh was proposed to be changed as Telugunadu in the lines of Tamilnadu during the NTR regime but the idea was suppressed due to some opposition within his own party cadre. I don't find the logic in changing the name of Orissa to Odisha, even people of the origin itself don't appreciate the change and pronounce their language as Oriya even today instead of Odiya. Same is the case with Calcutta, Madras and Bombay. Even now, many won't pronounce the changed names Kolkata, Chennai and Mumbai.

The regional madness that crept the minds of some people has brought such changes into practice. Recently, the AP Government has changed the name of Rajahmundry which inherited it from the British to Rajamahendravaram on the eve of Godavari Pushkar.
    I don't understand any rationale in such modifications.

Regards,
    Jagdish

I don't agree with those who support changing the names of our cities or states. What difference does it make? Does it make us more patriotic? I don't think so.

Let us not ponder over whether it was the British or our own governments that has effected the changes; let it remain a thing of the past. There might have been distortions or wrong interpretations but we need to be logical in concluding that it would be better to continue with what we are used to. Calcutta, Bombay and Madras (names that bring in nostalgia) were changed to Kolkata, Mumbai and Chennai; what difference did it make? It should be noted that the High Courts and many offices situated in these places were till very recently known by their old names. Even now, I am sure that most of us use the old names only at least when we are speaking.

So, changing established and registered names must not be resorted to just for the sake or in the name of propagating nationality or just because they were coined by the British.

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

British government misspelt most of the cities and towns in English language. Due to which some names are very awkward to read. The names of cities which are already from the decades, why should any government change or misspelt it? They don't have any authority to do such modifications. I am named by my parents, which can't be changed by anyone; except mine. The British government might have done mistakes due to language issues, but now there is no issue about that. We must write our names properly. My name is Naresh, which is similarly spoken in Hindi and my local language. If somebody will write my name as Naress, Noresh, or Nares, I'll not agree with that. So, why not my town name is written properly?
    Regards,
    Naresh Kumar
    'Every bad situation will have something positive. Even a dead clock shows correct time twice a day.'

The three presidency courts of Madras, Bombay and Calcutta, were established under the Indian High Court Act of 1861. Now there is a move to change their names also two decades after the city of 'Madras' was renamed as 'Chennai' and 'Bombay' as 'Mumbai'. It requires a concurrence of not only the state Governments concerned but also of the High Courts concerned. Though in the cases of Madras and Bombay High Courts, they have accorded consent, but the Calcutta high Court has not yet agreed.
    Same is the case with the name of IIT, Bombay and the Bombay Stock Exchange.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sign In to post your comments