You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Return Letter Office (RLO) - What happens to letters which never reach their destination?

Return Letter Office (RLO) of the India Post is sometimes, described as the Dead letter office also. Each of the 25 postal circles of India Post has one RLO attached to it. RLOs functions as the lost and found section of the India Post and all the postal articles like letters, parcels etc. which do not reach their destination are handled at RLO.
    Letters are generally kept for a period of three months in anticipation that the senders or the addressees may come to claim them, after which they are shredded and destroyed. The parcels and other articles are kept for a period of up to one year, after which the same are disposed of through a public auction by fixing a base price.
    The letters end up at RLO most commonly due to reasons of incomplete address e.g. 'Kailash, Mumbai' or having been addressed to 'Santa Claus, India'. Many letters are addressed to the God.
    Let us share more information about letters which do not reach their destination?
    For the first time I came to know about this system of Indian Postal and the term RLO. It is really a matter of concern that where the undelivered letters and parcels go if there is no sender's address details. I've no more idea about it; hope other authors will know something about this.
    Regards,
    Naresh Kumar
    'Every bad situation will have something positive. Even a dead clock shows correct time twice a day.'

Normally the postman are well versed with each name and address of his area and he wont miss any letter undelivered. But sometimes the tenants would leave the place and the letters would be piled up which were sent back again to senders.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Sign In to post your comments