You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Small vendors are much aware of cleanliness than ordinary people

Today on my way to home, due to heavy rain I stopped nearby a small vendor; who used to prepare and sell wada, samosa, etc. I saw there he kept a nice message (in Odia) on his cabin as 'Please don't throw the paper plates after eating here & there; use dustbin'. I saw two college students are busy talking with each other while eating some snacks there; and after eating they simply threw the paper plates on roadside and quit. In fact, I saw there are so many paper plates beside the road. I asked about the same to the shop owner; he replied, "No one look after this message board. Even if they saw, but forget to throw the papers in dustbin. This is completely a kind of ignorance and careless. Many educated people are doing even after reading the message and seeing the dustbin. They think, it's my duty to collect the leftovers and papers".
    What's your saying on this incident?
    People's voluntary and willing participation is required for success in such cases. Only displaying a message may not be sufficient. Who knows the vendor might have been compelled to display such a board by the local authorities to comply with certain regulations. The vendor should have personally requested also each and every customer while handing over the bought eatable to them instead of expecting that the buyers will read his board and comply with the same. The behavior of the vendors appears to be like that of a Government authority to just put a board. I believe that through persistent requests and persuasion, it may become possible for the vendor to gradually convince his customers to throw the used plates etc. in the dustbin only.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I recall that in my native village during my childhood, there used to be a small eatery. The food was served on plantain leaves. After eating one has to take the leaf properly rolled to avoid dripping and also making a swipe of the place on table where the leaf 'plate' was placed and then throw the waste into the dustbin or pit kept for the same. There was no board, and everyone did it as a custom and habit.

On becoming modern, we want others to do our work. Still we blame our ancestors .

==================================
    Let us keep faith on ourselves and work sincerely, not leave everything to fate.

I cannot agree with the conclusion made. It is true that the samosa, wada seller want to keep the surroundings clean. But, he may not be cleaning his hands before cooking. We all know that such sellers won't stay clean. In case he stays clean, he can be given an award. Ordinary people are neglecting cleanliness not only by throwing papers but also by spitting on roads, throwing garbage everywhere etc,. All these people must know that Cleanliness is next to Godliness.

Let us continue learning.

People are expecting punishment or strictness through some police or volunteers. I saw in many places when police personnel warns people not to walk on roads instead to use platforms, they do not hear the warning but if the police over mike calling,'Hey! checked shirt! Go to platform, don't walk on road', then including checked shirt many people goes to platform from road.
    About cleanliness, we mostly think that people other than us are less hygienic and we are the most hygienic. But I am of the opinion that all are hygienic to their level and we cannot expect from them to wash hands every minute as doing by doctors. I saw on one occasion of some local festival, many people are arranging for distribution of juice packets, buttermilk packets freely to the public. The arranging persons are just public including some auto drivers. I saw they were washing well the drums with good water for keeping the juice/Buttermilk packets. I saw this every place on the road and think that they are also having in mind about hygienic.

Sign In to post your comments