You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Festivals

No ISC Member celebrated Hariyali Teej!

Yesterday Teej festival was celebrated in UP, Bihar, Punjab, Hariyana, Himachal Pradesh, Jharkhand, Madya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Chattisgarh, Delhi, Jammu and in some parts of West Bengal. In other states also, North Indian population celebrated Teej. The first day of the three-day Hindu festival, Teej is dedicated to Goddess Parvati, and commemorates her union with Lord Shiva. The festival is celebrated for sexual bliss, well-being of the spouse and children, and purification of one's own body and soul.

This festival also signifies success of monsoon, which is monitored even today in all countries with great importance. However, I am astonished to find not even a single thread on Teej in ISC. I wished other Members on the occasion of Teej in 'Social Hub', but nobody responded. No contest was announced on this happy occasion. In contrast, I earlier saw at least three threads on the occasion of another festival of another community.

I think, India is now truly following Nehruvian secularism, where all religions (except the religion followed by the majority) are treated with utmost respect.
    The population of India is more than 130 crore. The registered members of ISC is only eight lac plus. Among the eight lac members, the forum members are only few hundred. Among the few hundred, the very active members are only a two figure number below 20. Among the 20, 50 percent are south Indians.

If this is the case, how do you expect ISC members to celebrate 'Hariyali Teej' which is not known to the south. Just give a second thought to your question to get the answer, Mr. Partha.

No life without Sun ¤

Mr. Sun, I am also saying the same thing in a different manner. What is Teej? Why should we celebrate it? Why should we wish others on this occasion?
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Partha,
    We should think of celebrating those festivals only which are declared as national holidays to celebrate. There could be many local festivals in a country with 29 different states. Let us not think about unnecessary festivals as every day is a festival day in India in one way or other.

Today is " Aadi Thabasu." It is a ten day festival. It is for Goddess Gomathi(Parvathi) and Lord Sankara Narayana (Lord Siva). Goddess Gomathi goes into penance to see Sankaranarayana. On the ninth day, Lord
    Siva appears as Sankaranarayana in his Rishaba (Bull)Vehicle, and on the last day he appears as Sankaralingam in an Elephant vehicle

Is it known to any north Indian guy? .

No life without Sun ¤

The thread raises a question as to why the author of the thread himself had not raised a thread to celebrate the important festival. Also, I personally don't find the statement - 'at least three threads on the occasion of another festival of another community' in good taste. The members themselves can take an initiative to raise threads and share the joys and happiness with others.
    Regarding organizing contests etc. , it is not mandatory to organize contests on the occasion of all festivals. As a matter of fact, the cultural heritage of India is so rich that almost on every other day we have one festival. Making it a point to organize contests on the occasion of each and every festival is likely to limit the ISC activity to the participation of contests only.
    There are certain national festivals which are well known and celebrated throughout the India and at the same time there are regional festivals which are celebrated only in certain particular regions. Hariyali Teej is one such regional festival.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

#574311: Although I didn't raise any thread on Teej but I wished all members on the occasion in 'Social Hub'. It is a different matter altogether that nobody bothered to reply.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Sign In to post your comments