You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Olympics

How many medals will India manage in Rio Olympics 2016?

India has always performed dismally at Olympics if we look at the population of our country. Even a small country manages more medals than us. Our medals tally has been in single digits at every Olympics and sometimes even zero.

Last time in 2012 in London, it was the best with 6 medals. Do you expect a better performance this year at Rio? How many medals do you think India will manage this time? In my view India has got chance of medals in wrestling, badminton, shooting, archery, lawn tennis, boxing and hockey. Even if one medal comes from each one then the tally would be 7 which seems to be very optimistic. What do you think?
    My event-wise estimates are given below:-
    Archery: Our medal hope rests on Deepika Kumari from Jharkhand. This experienced archer is one of the top players in her category.
    Athelatics: Tintu Luka from Orissa has a faint hope of winning a medal in 800 m.
    Badminton: Strong hope on Kidambi Srikanth, Saina, Sindhu, Jwala gutta and Ashwini Ponappa. India has a realistic chance to win at least 3 medals in Baminton.
    Boxing: Shiva Thapa is a medal prospect. Others are also in great spirit.
    Field Hockey: Medal hope on our Men's team due to current performance. Women's Hockey Team is also improving.
    Shooting: Strong hope on Jitu Rai, Gagan Narang and Abhinav Bindra. Experienced trap shooter Manavjit Sandhu is also in the reckoning. Heena Sidhu is also a medal prospect in women's shooting.3-4 medals can be expected in shooting.
    Table Tennis: Faint hope on experienced Sarath Kamal.
    Tennis: Faint hope on Sania Mirza
    Wrestling: Indian hope is on Narsingh and Yogeshwar Dutt. Other wrestlers including women wrestlers are also in great spirit.
    Golf: Anirban Lahiri is in good form.
    Gymnastics: Dipa Karmakar from Tripura has already created a stir by qualifying. However, she is not a medal prospect.

I expect better performance from India than London-2012. The Indian participants must try their level-best. I want super-human performance from them for the sake of the country. Sincere best wishes to all of them.

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

The first day has been disappointing for India. Jitu Rai the biggest medal hope finished 8th and now he has only opportunity left to get a medal in a different event. In lawn tennis most of the doubles players exited in first round itself. There is hope only from mixed doubles now in lawn tennis event. All in all an expected performance because most of the players are not at their peak before this Olympics.

Sign In to post your comments