You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Absent of scientific, chemical and biological names in thesaurus of Microsoft Office.

I am using Microsoft Office 2007 in my system; there are many religious names like Ram, Krishna, Radha, Allah, Jesus, Buddha, Mohammad, Bible, Quran, Mahabharata, Ramayana, Veda, etc are there. People names of America, British, Canada, Australia and other countries and some famous Indian names like Gandhi, Nehru, Mahatma, Jawaharlal, Mohan Das, Vivekananda, Ramakrishna, etc. are also present. Countries, capitals, famous cities, rivers, mountains, and other places are too there in Microsoft dictionary. However, why there are no scientific, chemical and biological names in it. Are there any difference meanings of biological names in different countries or in English? Such words/meanings are present in other dictionaries, then why not in Microsoft? Do you have any idea?
    The answer is hiding in the question itself. There are some famous people. But, there are many scientific names. These are some scientific names for birds we all know very well.
    Crow - Corvous Corone
    Cuckoo - Cuculidae Cuculiformes
    Dove - Columbidae Colombiformes
    Owl - Nocturnalis Strigiformes
    Peacock - Pava Cristatus
    Almost all the scientific names consist of two scientific words and all the 5 x 2 = 10 scientific words I mentioned above are considered spelling mistakes. There is nothing wrong in that because it is almost impossible to add all the scientific words to the dictionary as new scientific words are being created everyday due to the discovery of new natural or hybrid species etc,. In addition, the grammar rules are almost impossible to create if scientific names are accepted. I don't know whether this is the exact reason or not. This is what I think.

Scientific, chemical and biological terms are generally not used by the common users of Microsoft Office 2007 as a routine. It is impossible to count the total number of words, the English language contains, but it is estimated that there are at least a quarter of a million distinct English words. Many scientific and biological words are of Latinate origin. There are roughly 100,000 word families in the English language and a native English speaking person knows between 10,000 (in the case of uneducated) to 20,000 (in the case of educated individuals) word families. A person needs to know about 8,000 to 9,000 word families to enjoy reading a book.
    In the above mentioned backdrop , all the scientific, chemical and biological names are not added in the thesaurus of Microsoft Office. The names mentioned by the author in the thread are added because they are used by the general public.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sign In to post your comments