You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

What about the name 'United States of India'?

India is a federal republic governed under a parliamentary system and consists of 29 states and 7 union territories. It is a multilingual country having 22 scheduled languages with followers of almost all major religions of the world like Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Sikhism, Buddhism, Jainism and others. Its cultural history spans more than 4,500 years. Eight dance forms - Bharatanatyam (Tamil Nadu), Kathak (Uttar Pradesh), Kathakali and Mohiniyattam(Kerala), Kuchipudi (Andhra Pradesh), Manipuri (Manipur), Odissi (Odisha), and Sattriya (Assam) have been accorded classical dance status and the classical music encompasses two genres i.e. the northern Hindustani and southern Carnatic schools.
    There are six national and 49 state level recognised political parties and many states are ruled by the regional political parties.
    Yet we stand united.
    What about the name 'United States of India'?
    No No No.. Kailash. Why should we follow a pattern followed by others. Why not think differently and name our India different than the one is existing in this world. Why to think about United States of India(USI)? Why not 'The Combined States of India (CSI)? Why not 'The Integrated States of India (ISI)? Why not 'The Merged States of India (MSI)? Why not 'The Peculiar States of India (PSI)? Why not the 'Fighting States of India'(FSI)? Why not the Non-Cooperative States of India'(NCSI)?
    No life without Sun ¤

According to Dr. D.D. Basu, India is a federal country with strong unitary characteristics. On the other hand, the USA is a federal country with very few subjects with the Centre. In India, there are 97 subjects in Union list, 66 subjects in State list and 47 subjects in Concurrent list (where the Union Government has the major say). So, India can never be termed as the 'United States of India'. India's federal structure is different from the federal structure of the USA.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

India is already a Union of States. We are already unites. Let us remain United always. I am doubtful whether there is so much diversity eternally but an internal unity holds all.
    Let no evil eye fall on Indian Unity and Unity of India, the Union of India.

==================================
    Let us keep faith on ourselves and work sincerely, not leave everything to fate.

We are already aping and trying to fall in line with the wants of America and this demand by the author once again paves the way of following the likes of USA. There is no doubt that India is the peaceful Nation with various states having different language and culture and yet we are united when we voice our concern for the country. By taking the suggestion of the author and naming our country as United states of India, it only signifies that we are aping the western culture and not our rich tradition and beyond that. One more thing with Individual state name we are already having good name in foreign countries. States like Maharastra, Telangana, AP and Karnataka are well known in other countries and by bringing all the states under one name of USI , we will loose the recognition of Individual state glory. By the way India is famous with its present name and its attitude in the International fora and there is no need to change its name as of now.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

I noticed the thread in the forum page and thought that it is 'United States of America'. Even after opening this thread, I thought the same. I realized 'United States of India' only after reading the thread. Coming to the point, the name is good but everyone will look at it like it is copied from 'United States of America'. The name 'United States of India' can be accepted if it was proposed before the name 'United States of America' was coined. But, the term 'United States of America' was coined in 1700's. Even the name 'India' is given by the Britishers. It is better to call our country as 'Aja Nabha Varsha' or 'Bharata' as it was called in olden days.

India is union of states not the federation of states like U.S.A.
    When constitution was framed there were so many debates over this topic and finally It was decided that Indian will be union of states not federation.
    States in India exists because India exists and not vice versa, and not all states has come together to form India.
    America say its federation of states and i.e, why it is known as united states of America but such term can't be used for India.
    And all the things about India as Union of states as been explained in schdule 1 of constitution.

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

Both India and USA are sovereign countries , irrespective of the fine print of differentiation between the concept of a 'union of states' and a 'federation of states'. As a matter of fact, in India because of many strong regional political parties in contrast to the USA, where there are only two political parties, more federalism exists.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sign In to post your comments