You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Festivals

Do you know that the National Flag should be made of hand spun and hand woven cloth only?

According to the Flag Code of India, 'khadi' or hand spun bunting (cloth ) is the only material allowed for making the National Flag. Also, the materials for khadi are restricted to cotton, silk and wool. Not only that, making the National Flag using any other material is an offence and is punishable with imprisonment up to three years and/or a fine.
    According to the guidelines, there should be exactly 150 threads per square centimetre and four threads per stitch. The weight of the cloth should be 205 grammes per square feet.
    Two types of 'khadi' is used in making of the National Flag - the 'khadi' bunting which makes up the body of the flag and the 'khadi' duck that holds the flag to the pole.
    Do you know that the National Flag should be made of hand spun and hand woven cloth only?
    I admire the author for giving whole some details about how to make the National flag and its totality. But when ever National days like Independence and Republic days comes, we see scores of plastic flags available in the market and that are mainly purchased by the school and colleges to decorate their ground and class rooms. But often I have seen that those plastic flags get detached from the strings and thus they fall on the ground and no one cares for that. We should not allow the National flag to fall on the ground and after hoisting the flag, it must be brought down and folded with four times and thus must be preserved for the next event.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

I didn't hear about this anytime before. But, I think this rule won't be followed in most places. We always see plastic national flags in children's hands and paper national flags attached to children's shirts on Independence Day and Republic Day. Mr. Kailash Kumar, I would like to know whether the rule is applicable only to the flags which will be hoisted or to all the flags including plastic flags, paper flags etc,. Because, almost every fancy/stationary shopkeeper should be punished if the rule is applicable for the flags which are not hoisted too.

Yes, I very much know about this. I would like add more information on the same. Karnataka Khadi Gramodyoga Samyukta Sangha is the only manufacturing unit that is authorized to manufacture and supply Indian National Flag. The manufacturing unit is located in Hubli and was founded in 1957.
    -----------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Kalyani
    Lead Editor (Articles)

Very important details the author had shared hear its very new for me as I today came to know about all these, and the interesting part to know is that we can get imprisonment if we don't follow these rules. It is very important for the citizen of India to know all these because as India is his/her motherland, and the citizen should at least know something about his/her national flag, I too have seen many plastic flags on independence days in my area and I am thinking to convey all this to my friends.
    live happily in every situation of life

Not only paper and plastic flags but even the flags made of cloth should conform to the specifications. Generally, the people are not aware of the rules and flags are made of power loom made textile also.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

#574880 (Ms. Kalyani) : If there is only one manufacturing place for our national flag, I don't think many people will get a flag from there. As most people use the same flag they hoisted the previous year, there won't be any work to that manufacturing place. And, could you tell me whether the plastic flags, paper flags etc,. are legal or not?

Krishna Teja (#574940 ), the KKGSS (F) i.e Karnataka Khadi Gramodyog Samyukta Sangha Federation is the only authorized manufacturing unit in India to produce National Flags. The BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards) had set certain standards in designing and making the Tricolor Flag like material, thread count, strength of the yarn, color, size, fastness of colors used for dyeing etc. The Khadi and Village Industries Commission has accorded permission to KKGSS (F) to produce our National Flags as per the strict guidelines of the BIS. Any defect in the making the flag is considered as a serious offence. The KKGSS (F) took it as a challenge and has succeeded in making our National Flags as per the norms laid down by BIS. They are the only suppliers of Tricolor Flags to the entire nation i.e to all Govt offices / agencies, Ministry of Defence, Para Military Forces and all other govt organizations.

Besides Indian National Flags, the unit also produces khadi cloth and other khadi items like carpets, bags, caps, bedsheets etc and other items like processed honey, handmade paper etc.

The unit has an annual turnover of Rs.15 million. The production of khadi was started in 1982 and the federation even runs a training college in Textile Chemistry.

So, when there is so much of manufacturing work in the unit, it remains busy through out the year and not with any work.

Please note govt organizations / offices should not use i.e hoist a defective flag. In case the National Flag which was hoisted / used the previous year has the slightest defect, then a new one has to be ordered. I think you got the point.

And use of plastic National Flags is banned (not sure) as plastic is non-biodegradable materials while use of paper flags is allowed as paper is an eco-friendly material.

-----------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Kalyani
    Lead Editor (Articles)

The BIS standards regarding the National Flag of India were created in 1968 and thereafter updated in 2008. The specifications cover all the essential requirements of the manufacture of the Indian flag including sizes, dye colour, chromatic values, brightness, thread count and hemp cordage.
    IS 1 : 1968 Specification for the national flag of India (cotton khadi)
    Use of National Flags made of plastic affects the dignity of the flag as they are not biodegradable like the paper flags and also they cannot be destroyed for a long time.
    The flag code of conduct of India states "the flag made of paper may be waved by public on occasions of important national, cultural and sports events. However, such paper flags should not be discarded or thrown on the ground after the event. As far as possible, it should be disposed of in private consistent with the dignity of the flag."

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sign In to post your comments