You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Smoking habit in India is on decline while acohol consumption rate increasing. Why?

In my childhood time I used to see many men around us used to smoke Cigarettes, beedi's, hookahs etc. Not only elderly people but also students of all ages used to smoke. After 1980's this habit was gradually reduced among all groups of people. Is this change is due to people became more educated than before or the steps taken by governments in advertising the ill effects of smoking? But on the other hand consumption of alcohol on raise in all sections of the society. In the past mostly drinking habit was found in working laborers but it spread much to all sections of the people at present. As smoking habit decreased it place at present is taken by Gutka Pan. What is your assessment regarding reducing trend of smoking and increasing trend of consumption of alcohol and Gutka Pan?
    There are about 12 crore smokers in India and according to WHO data, 12% of the whole world's smokers reside in India alone. It was estimated by the WHO in the year 2002 that about 30% males and 3 to 5% females smoke in India.
    Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products (Prohibition of Advertisement and Regulation of Trade and Commerce, Production, Supply and Distribution) Act, 2003 popularly known as COTPA regulates smoking related activities e.g. smoking at public places and advertising of tobacco products is presently banned.
    Since last few years, hookah bars have opened in many cities. However, hookah bars are banned in the state of Maharashtra and serving hookah has been made punishable by a fine of Rs.1,200.
    Tobacco is portrayed in 76% of Bollywood films often lighting up a cigarette while performing martial arts stunts.
    According to the statistical data ,there had been an increase of 36% in the number of smokers in India during the period between 1998 and 2015.
    Total 26.6% of people in Jammu and Kashmir smoke and the highest number of beedi smokers are in the state of Uttarakhand.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I have created this thread according to my perception of smoking in the past and present. Any how when I searched through net I found from Hindu News Paper, the percentage of smoking in male in India decreased from 33.8 to 23 percent. Here is the link to the information:- http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/smoking-among-indian-men-on-the-decline/article5550412.ece
    You have some more information regarding smoking (Smoking dips by 10% in 2 years in India) from The Times of India:-
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Smoking-dips-10-in-2-years-in-India-but-women-smokers-up-sharply/articleshow/50347209.cms

In my point of view, the rate of consumption of alcohol in India has been increased because of the westernization. In the previous years, the person who consumes alcohol was less. But after the advent of the technology firms in India, lot of parties has been organized regularly by the companies and many pubs and bars had its origin in India. Previously women don't drink, but nowadays the people who are working in IT firms; both men and women are consuming alcohol to reduce their work stress. In India consuming alcohol has become a fashion compared to smoking. In the parties organized by the MNC companies and in other bachelor parties, alcohol plays a major role and lot of educated youngsters even after knowing the effects of alcohol is consuming it. Other than the IT people, many college students are consuming alcohol for fun and later on getting addicted to it. Moreover many state governments have opened many alcohol shops to increase their revenue. Because of this poor attitude of the Government, many poor citizens are getting addicted to the alcohol.

There appears no contradiction in the data regarding the statistics of smokers in India. According to a research conducted by Dr. Prabhat Jha, director of the Centre for Global Health Research of St Michael's Hospital, the number of men in the age group of 15 to 69 years, smoking any type of tobacco was 7.9 crore in the year 1998 which rose to 10.8 crore in the year 2015 i.e. an increase of 2.9 crore which makes it 36% over the period.
    The other report portraying 10% decline talks about cigarette consumption based on the sales figure of cigarettes in India. As we know, smoking doesn't mean consumption of cigarettes only. Smoking beedi also constitutes smoking.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Smoking is banned in public places due to pollution and health hazard to others; whereas, there is no side effect to non-alcoholic person. Due to several awareness programs, the smoking habits may be decreased in our country, but not up to that, as said by Kailashji (#574993). The percentage of smokers in India is higher as compared to other countries. In some countries there is a provision of smoking areas, direct fines in public areas, smoking banned in some countries too, etc. However, in India there is no such act against smokers or drinkers. Everything was just an awareness and announcement by government, which must be eradicated completely by hook-or-cook. In Andhra Pradesh (undivided) many working ladies are used to take alcohol at evening. I've seen women drinking beers in autos nearby Koti, Hyderabad.
    Regards,
    Naresh Kumar
    'Every bad situation will have something positive. Even a dead clock shows correct time twice a day.'

Sign In to post your comments