You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Will the companies recruit lesser women once 6-month maternity leave law is enforced?

Today the media is abuzz about the maternity Benefit (Amendment) Bill, 2016, which is passed by the Rajya Sabha. The bill increases maternity leave from present 12 weeks to 26 weeks for two surviving children and 12 weeks for more than two children. Also, the bill proposes a 12 weeks leave for commissioning and adopting mothers.
    Mandatory provision of a creche in respect of establishments having 50 or more employees has also been proposed in the bill.
    The Maternity Benefit Act, 1961, protects the employment of women during the time of maternity and entitles them to a full paid absence from work to take care of her child.
    Will the private companies recruit lesser women once the law regarding 6-month maternity leave is enforced?
    Even the new law comes there cannot be lesser jobs for women for the one best reason that it has been proved beyond doubt in every company that the out put of jobs done by the women employees are surely more and perfect than male employees. If a task is given to a woman employee she would complete the same in quick period and also helps the co employee to sort out his or her problems in the work execution. Even six months leave is given for the pregnant women employee, they can cope up the pending works against their name after coming back from the delivery of the child. So I feel there cannot be change in the stance of the companies or even in government organizations. Giving birth to a child after marriage is the natural process for every women and glad that a law to protect their rights is in offing and truly helping them out. I shall welcome this new law which is surely pro women.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Good to see you suggesting that to the companies....! Sorry - I was just kidding.

Well, I guess I would concur with the view expressed by Mohan. Women employees have been found to be more productive than men in any organisation. One of the entrepreneurs in Margao (Goa) once told me that women are an asset to his company. That should sum up the view that most of the new age companies have for their women workforce.

I would definitely support the new legislation being put forth. That would not in any way endanger the job prospects of the women employees.

Live....and Let Live...!

Almost all the private companies want more and more profits. It means that they don't want to give salary during absence. According to the maternity benefit act, women employees must be given paid leave during maternity. There are many other such provisions which I came to know from "http://www.paycheck.in/main/career-tips/women-paycheck/women-legislation/maternity-benefits-act-1961". Now that the span is increased from 12 weeks to 26 weeks etc., I think that the private companies will try to recruit lesser women once 6 month maternity leave law is enforced.

Maternity Benefits Act, 1961 provides for punishment/penalty if any employer fails to pay maternity benefit to an eligible women or discharges or dismisses the woman during or on account of her absence from work.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sign In to post your comments