You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Subedar Ratan Singh, Vir Chakra, hero of Longewalla, passes away!

Almost all of us have seen the J.P. Dutta Film, Border. The film INCORRECTLY depicts the events of famous Battle of Longewalla, at Rajasthan-Sindh sector in 1971, when a full regiment of 45 Pakistani tanks and 2000 Baloch soldiers could not dislodge 80 soldiers of Alpha Company of 23 Punjab, even after full-fleged battle throughout the night. On the next morning, 4 obsolete IAF planes (obsolete in 1971) stationed at Saidewalla air-base, Jaisalmer destroyed the entire Paki tank regiment. Contrary to the film, in actuality, only 2 Indian soldiers died in the fighting that night.

Subedar Ratan Singh, depicted by Punit Issar in the film, who received Vir Chakra for his exemplary bravery during the battle, has left the world on last Wednesday at an age of 92. In this connection, it is worth mentioning that in the film the character of Ratan Singh died during the battle.

RIP, Subedar Ratan Singh!
    It is really sad to note that Subedar Ratan Singh, Vir Chakra, hero of Longewalla has passed away and his contributions during 1971 war against Pakistan was worth remembering. May his soul rest in peace.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Incidentally, the media is portraying the bravest of the brave soldier Subedar Ratan Singh as the war hero who Inspired the movie 'Border'. Media always play the trick and insert such keywords in the title which are likely to attract traffic.
    There is no article available about the real hero in Wikipedia though there is an article about Puneet Issar who played the character of Subedar Ratan Singh in the movie.
    The film industry had milked the emotions of the movie fans and had a good box office collection.
    Regarding the departed soldier, may his soul rest in peace.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I didn't watch the 1997 film Border. After reading this thread, I searched about it and found this. The movie portrayed the death of the great soldiers because the movie makers wanted to depict the disadvantages of war by showing the trauma it causes to the family members of soldiers. There is even a song in the movie which criticizes war. By the way, I thank Mr. Partha Kansabanik for giving information about some great Indian personalities - first Sardar Udham Singh and now Subedar Ratan Singh. Looks like Mr. Partha is very interested in Indian history.

Sign In to post your comments