You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Creative Writing

The land that was deserted by British is now smart city.

I really laughed when these two people talked about this city who have visited me during the famous function held here. For your knowledge let me tell you shortly about their conversation.

Hi friend, now this city has been listed as one among the two of the smart cities of TN . But this city has no much of historic or tradition of much years even British who had taken this city from Tipu after his death in the war in 1799 while Mysore has been handed over to the then Prince had not concentrated much on this city and thought this place is not suitable for dwelling as there is no river like Cauvery or Ganga or no room for creating port or even no existence of minerals to develop the city. Till 1850 there was not much development. Afterwards the city has developed with cultivation of cotton and tobacco. In 1865 the railways has been erected and hence given scope for industries.

Ok Friend nice to hear the pre independence history of this city. But I have another doubt, this park is named after VOC (V.O.Chidambaram Pillai) who was first Indian to sail Ship in Bay of Bengal But he is from Tuticorin.

Very good doubt you have raised and let me tell you what is the connection. In 1908 when he was given with double life sentence and as the Port Blair Jail was over crowded, he has been shifted from Palayamkottai to Coimbatore Jail. In the jail he has been revolving the Jute machine and when his hand was very much injured, he has been shifted to another machine to revolve with leg, the oil refining and even now that is available as show piece and he was released in 1912. In 1920 he again came to Coimbatore and stayed up to 1924 and even run a shop.

You may think that I am a new park christened after the freedom fighter VOC. But no I was already there before independence called Coronation Park and had a pride of meeting held here with Mahathma Gandhi twice. Now I feel proud to see the development of the city to attain the position of government considering it to convert as a smart city. Let us see the developments in short.

First among many is SIruvani Water dam which is main source of water in the city. This is surely an insult to British as they have deserted this city as there is no water source and hence they have gone up that is Nilgiris. Though initial project has been finished during British period there are many odds to finish it by local people.

There are many industries especially textiles and even this name 'Manchester of South India' is very apt with the skills involved. Apart from textiles, the city has been adopted to many recent technology and hence there are many industries and educational institutions to its credit. This is hub in transporting goods from other states of north and south to Kerala.

There are many unique and first to its credit and people here are skill oriented and hence the fame of first Wet Grinder and a multi faceted personality G.D.Naidu hailed from this place.

The pride of the city is now show causing in many museums like Gass Forest museum, G.D.Naidu Museum, Kasthuri Srinivasan Museum which is only one in India for textiles. There are other few government museums too telling the pride of the city.

So if you find time visit this city and visit to see me(VOC Park) on this 15th.

This is entry for Indian Independence day 2016 - creative story writing contest
    Coimbatore is a major hub for textiles, education, information technology, healthcare and manufacturing in Tamil Nadu. It is the second largest city in the state after Chennai and is the second largest producer of software in the state. It is a major centre for the manufacture of automotive components in India. Car manufacturers Maruti Udyog and Tata Motors source up to 30% of their automotive components from the city. It is also one of the largest exporters of software. The other noteworthy economic activities in the city are motors and pumps industries, jewellery manufacture and processed chicken meat exports.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

By this creative writing ability the author has connected the Tow topic with that of smart city preparedness of two great cities of TN which were earlier occupied by British forces. Great writing and fit to be rewarded.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Thanks Kailash and Mohan.

Yes Kailash (as usual come out with value added information to the said content) there are many things developed in this city and thank you for your list of positives on this city.

Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

Sign In to post your comments