You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Important: No more censorship power to the Censor Board

In a significant development which will shake the Censor Board and the film industry, CBFC, the monitoring body, is likely to be stripped off its censoring power and will be left only with the authority to certify films. According to the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, the Ministry is working on major changes in the Cinematography Act and the Bill will be introduced in the Winter Session of the Parliament. After the recent furore by the film industry under CBFC chairman Pahlaj Nihalani, the Government has desired to avoid further controversies by this move.

It has been further stated the entire film certification process will be reworked and changed. There will be two committees, one for reviewing and the other for monitoring. The members of the two committees will also be appointed from the National Commission for Women and National Commission for Protection of Child Rights.
    Good news for the upcoming movies! Atlast they realized censor board is ruining good movies.
    Udta Punjab, for an example, was an extremely good movie, which stood ruined by "censor board". Many such good movies fell prey to vile censor board. Not hereafter.
    Thank you very much for announcing this good news.

This should help improve the freedom of expression envisaged in the Constitution of India. The move has been necessitated by the recent controversy on the film "Udta Punjab". The film was viewed as being too sensitive by the censor board and several cuts were suggested.
    The members of the review committee and the monitoring committee will chosen from the fields of National Commission for Women, National Commission for Protection of Child Rights and psychologists. The Censor Board was pulled by High Court for demanding 89 cuts in the film "Udta Punjab". The government wants the people to decide what they want to watch rather than having dictatorial view on the same.

Hopefully, this will not cause an onslaught of too aggressive or anti social films being produced.

Live....and Let Live...!

The Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) or Censor Board is constituted under the Cinematograph Act 1952. A new Act replacing the earlier one is in the offing. Presently there are following four certification categories -
    1, U (unrestricted public exhibition),
    2. A (restricted to adults),
    3. UA (unrestricted public exhibition with parental discretion required for children below 12 years) and
    4. S (restricted to a special class of persons).
    In the new Act, it is proposed to break the UA category into further sub-categories like UA12+ and UA15+ and divide the A category into A and AC (adult with caution) categories.

Incidentally, there is no such body like the Censor Board to review and monitor contents being telecasted by various television channels.

The Indian Broadcasting Foundation has adopted self-regulation guidelines for general entertainment and non-news and current affairs TV channels and the Content Code and Certification Rules 2011 for the broadcasting sector. These guidelines are applicable to all non-news broadcast programs on television.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I am having an impression that the Central govt. learns very quickly from their mistakes and tries to rectify. That is a sign of responsive governance.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

This is really good news. The so called censor board is always behaving in partisan manner and passing the films which are even vulgar and showing over sex making scenes. I do agree that producers and directors do influence the CBFC members and may even greeze the palm, ultimately the society is getting affected and the blame game starts from the producer and end up with Censor giving certification with no cuts. Gone are the days when kissing scenes were cut and avoided. Now detailed bed room scenes and rape scenes are covered in much span time and thus the actress are over exposed in the garb of reality. So new thinking by Ministry is welcome to tame CBFC.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

This is really a good news for movie makers and movie audience too. The so called censor board had cut many scenes in movies for silly reasons and as a result of that, many movies which had the potential to be successful failed to impress audience. Now that the censor board's only work is to give a rating for a film, the movies won't lose their continuity and that would help the audience to enjoy a movie. And, Mr. Kailash Kumar must be appreciated for giving such an informative response. I came to know about the AC rating only after reading it.

Sign In to post your comments