You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Competition Entries

Me,the national flag-My evolution before independence

These were the words uttered by Bapu in my praise,"It will be necessary for us Indians Muslims, Christians Jews, Parsis, and all others to whom India is their home-to recognize a common flag to live and to die for."
    My evolution till today has been the result of the hard work,pains and struggles of the greatest freedom fighters of India.It was quite a task to design my colour code and symbolism as India was a diverse nation having people of many languages,belief,religion all living together peacefully.
    I was first hoisted on August 7, 1906, in the Parsee Bagan Square (Green Park) in Calcutta now Kolkata.I had three horizontal strips of red, yellow and green painted across my fabric,with the words 'Bande Mataram' written in centre.
    I made my next journey of hoisting in Paris by Madame Cama and her band of exiled revolutionaries in 1907 . This time my top strip had only one lotus but seven stars denoting the Saptarishi.
    The third time ,I was hoisted in 1917 when the political struggle had taken a definite turn to drive away the Britishers.

Dr. Annie Besant and Lokmanya Tilakji hoisted me during the iconic Home rule movement. Now,I had five red and four green horizontal strips arranged alternately, with seven stars in the saptarishi configuration super-imposed on them. In the left-hand top corner was the Union Jack and there was also a white crescent and star in one corner.
    Next,during the session of the All India Congress Committee which met at Bezwada in 1921 (now Vijayawada) an Andhra youth designed me very differently and took me to Gandhiji.
    My fabric was now having two colours-red and green-representing the two major communities i.e. Hindus and Muslims. Gandhiji suggested the addition of a white strip to me in order to represent the remaining communities of India and the spinning wheel to symbolise progress of the Nation.
    The year 1931 was a landmark in my history of evolution till date. A resolution was passed adopting my last tricolor design as the national flag. This last one was saffron, white and green with Gandhiji's spinning wheel at the center.
    On July 22, 1947, the Constituent Assembly adopted me as 'Free India' National Flag. After the advent of Independence, my colours and their significance remained the same. Only the Dharma Charkha of Emperor Asoka was adopted in place of the spinning wheel as my emblem.

Eventually I became the tricolour flag of Independent India and you can see me everywhere,at school functions,workplaces,independence day gatherings,at cricket matches and now at the Olympics,proudly flying away as 'Jana Gana Mana...' is sung by millions across the nation.

Creative writing contest entry for Independence day 2016
    An excellent short article on the evolution of the National Flag. Madam Bhikaji Rustom Cama is considered to be the first person who designed the first Flag, which was changed a number of times and the Constituent Assembly last approved this Flag. On the other hand, the Congress used almost the same Flag except the spinning wheel in place of the Ashoka Emblem.

A small suggestion in this regard. The author could have mentioned the recent change of Flag Code. After the change, ordinary citizens can also hoist the National Flag on their premises.

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

A good thread about the evolution of Indian National flag. I liked the way you narrated the evolution. Sorry, It doesn't match with your title ' Me, the national flag-My evolution since independence'. The evolution took place only before independence. Nothing happened to our tricolour after independence. The size, colour and everything remained unchanged from 15th August 1947 till todate.

The title "Me, the national flag - My evolution since my birth" would have been more appropriate. Or 'Me, the national flag - My evolution before independence' would have been appropriate. There again, it was not a national flag of India before its independence during British rule with British jack.

Sign In to post your comments