You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Two very old eating joints of Lucknow and Kolkata!

Lucknow is known for its various 'kababs', 'kormas' and 'biriyani'. Kolkata is famous for its street food. On the eve of independence, let us recall the exquisite taste of foods from two famous eateries, one each from Lucknow and Kolkata, which have been satisfying the people of these two cities since the beginning of the twentieth century.

Tunday Kababi, Lucknow: Globally famous for its exquisite 'Galouti kababs', kormas and biryanis, Lucknow's Tunday Kababi is believed to be established in 1905 by Haji Murad Ali, the one-armed ('tunda') cook of the Nawab of Lucknow. Almost hidden in the narrow lanes of the old area of Lucknow, the eatery still uses the same age-old intricate blends of spices to make its sensational non-vegetarian preparations.

Indian Coffee House, Kolkata: Famously hidden to the uninitiated in an obscure lane in College Street (Kolkata's academic hub), Indian Coffee House has long been an intellectual hangout and meeting place for students (and ex-students) of the Presidency College and many other academic and cultural institutions. Great personalities like Rabindranath Tagore, Amartya Sen, Manna Dey, Satyajit Ray, Ravi Shankar and several others frequented this place. Mutton cutlet and chicken kabirazi are the must haves on the still-very-cheap menu. Indian Coffee House started its famous journey way back in 1890s.
    Having spent some of the best years of my life in Lucknow, I can definitely vouch for the delectable food available in Lucknow. If you love food then a visit to the city of nawabs must feature on your bucket list.
    Some places that I frequented were-
    1. Ram Asrey – for the famous 'malai ki galori'. It is a sweat meat that is made from milk cream. It literally melts in your mouth. You can keep eating them and not feel sick
    2. Idris ki Biryani and Wahid Miya's Biryani – Both places serve the best biryanis. I have had biryanis in Hyderabad and Delhi as well (and also Dindigul). Nothing comes close to what is served here. These are to die for!
    3. Kachori served with chutney, pumpkin sabzi and the tastiest dry potato sabzi I've had – at Net Ram Halwai.
    There are a lot of other places hidden in the streets of Lucknow that serve absolutely heavenly food. It has been years since I left Lucknow, their names don't come to mind. Lucknow is a gourmet's delight.

A fool will always try to make sense of his nonsense!

#575270: Your description of Lucknow delicacies is simply mouth-watering! Eagerly waiting for my next trip to Lucknow to taste sweet meat and Kachori and compare these with sweet-meats and kachori of Ganguram, Putiram, SreeDurga, Dwarik or Tiwari of Kolkata.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

The cuisine of the Lucknow is known as 'Awadhi cuisine'. The Awadh is the region comprising Lucknow and surrounding areas. Basically, the 'Awadhi cuisine' is a localised variant of the 'Mughlai cuisine'. The nawabs were the regional representatives of the Mughal emperors based at Delhi. The nawabs to the Mughal emperors were like viceroys to the kings at Britain.
    The nawabs were known to be extravagant in everything including cuisine. Rather it would be correct to say that they were simple people much pampered and cajoled by their employees who used to enjoy life at their cost.
    A few examples of overindulgence of nawabs of Lucknow are as follows -
    1. The lime used in their 'paan' used to be made by burning real pearls which are the purest form of calcium carbonate.
    2. Only, the first batch of 'puris' deep fried in a ' kadhai' using quintals of pure ghee is used to be served to the Nawab, the rest being used by palace staff.
    3. The cows for milk and lamb for meat to be used for the cuisine of the Nawabs were used to be fed, dry fruits and such other special diet.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sign In to post your comments