You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Railway budget may not be separate from General Budget from next financial year on wards!

There is a proposal that the Railway budget will be merged with General budget from next budget on wards. Already process is going on for merging Railway budget with General budget. From the year 1924 (British rule) on wards, in Indian Parliament Railway and General budgets were separately introduced till now. Due to separate discussion on Railway budget lot of importance was given to the various issues at various parts of India in detail in the discussions of the Parliament. Now due to its merger with General budget the issues and problems related to Railway's may not get prime importance in Parliament. Members what do you think, a separate Railway budget or railway budget merged with General budget you favor? Share your views regarding this issue and have good debate on it.
    I welcome the new thinking of this Modi government that the Railway budget will also be included along with general budget and the new proposals would be listed with general budge next time. Every time a railway budget is presented it draws wholesome criticism that every Railway Minister looks after his state interest and never bother about the proposals given by aggrieved states. Thus by clubbing the Railway budget with central budget, there would be no regional imbalance and all the states must be addressed equally with good number of projects and approvals. I am welcoming the change.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

As recommended by William Mitchell Acworth, chairman of a 10 member committee on Indian Railways during the year 1920-21 in his report the railway budget of India was separated from the general budget in the year 1924, a practice which is continuing till date.
    Recently, a note prepared by the NITI Ayog had pointed out that the railway budget has become a tool to announce popular measures like new trains, new routes, new rolling stock manufacturing factories etc., without due focus on more important aspects like the railway's structural requirements etc.
    The merger move is likely to have political implications also. Many railway ministers in the past, particularly in the coalition Governments had doled out favors to their constituencies by introducing new trains and granting new projects.
    Presently, the Indian railway is suffering from a massive revenue deficit and following the implementation of the seventh pay commission, an additional burden of Rs 40,000 crore for higher salaries has come up.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Its been 92 years from the start of separate general budget and railway budget. The Indian Railways is currently suffering a massive revenue deficit. But now, all this burden will go to finance ministry. Railway minister Suresh Prabhu said that he wrote a letter to the finance minister about his merge the last year itself. So, the merge of general budget and railway budget is not yet confirmed but it is highly likely to be done. In my opinion, the prices of railway tickets may rise if the general budget and railway budget are merged as it makes budget management hard.

Sign In to post your comments