You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Olympics

In what language the Olympic medal winners communicate with the presenting dignitaries?

In the ongoing 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, more than 11,000 athletes from 206 countries are participating. The official language of Brazil, the host country is Portuguese. The athletes from the world over speak different languages.

When results are announced, the winners occupy their respective positions on the podium to receive their medals and a presenting dignitary place the medal around the neck of the athletes.

Do they know a common language to communicate during one of the best moments of the athlete's life? Perhaps, no.

They communicate in the universal language of a smile, goodwill, happiness and warmth without knowing each other's language.

What are your comments about the subject matter?
    Being a International sporting extravaganza, the Olympic organizers must have made elaborate arrangements for every thing concerned to the games and that includes keeping reading the translators from different countries of the world so that the participants can exchange their pleasantries and give speech or interview in their own language. The hosting country speaks the Brazilian language and not everyone is familiar with that great language. Moreover English is the bridge language for any country and that is well understood and regarded in the International sport forums.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

I think shaking hands as a goodwill and friendly gesture, smiling profusely when the occasion demands so, bowing, making hand gestures, crying when overwhelmed with the emotions etc. don't require knowledge of any language.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I think that most athletes etc,. have a basic knowledge of English. So, if there is a need to communicate, they will communicate in English. As you mentioned, emotions don't need any language i.e. smiling etc,.

Sign In to post your comments