You must Sign In to post a response.
(This thread is the wins Special Prize for the TOW for the week 14th Aug - 20th Aug’16)
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why people refrain from saying that they don't know?

I have noticed that generally, people refrain from saying that they don't know despite the fact that they actually don't know about the subject matter.

Do they treat their ignorance as a matter of shame or as being below their dignity or simply try to con others?

Many people don't even ask from others fearing that they may be treated as naive or novice. Such people fail to realize that almost of all of us don't know many things and the first step of learning anything or about a new thing is to accept that we don't know about the same.

Why people refrain from saying that they don't know?
    It's a kind of mindset among some people who always feels inferior in asking something to someone. Such kind of people always stays back in every situation. They neither proceeds in their life, nor they help others proceeding.
    Earlier when we ask something to village women, they close their face with saree and feel obscure or shy to answer. These kond of people also come across sometimes in our daily life; to whom we feel great mistake while asking anything.
    There are some other types of people who never being serious in their life and whenever you ask something to them, you will get a negative reply.
    So, the world is colorful as colorful people in it.

Regards,
    Naresh Kumar
    'Every bad situation will have something positive. Even a dead clock shows correct time twice a day.'

The lethargic attitude in some makes them to submit that they do not know. One of my friend always advised that if you want to be successful in life, never say no to anybody or deny help to others. By saying no, the other person feels that you are arrogant and does not have the being human attitude. But on the contrary, if you says that you know and would try that will send positive signals in the hearts of opposite person. Whether you succeed in doing the task or not the matter here, by not denying the work, you have already won the trust of the opposite person. So next time never say no to others.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Instead, I always see to it as an opportunity to admit that I don't know something. Admitting such simple truth can open the doors of knowledge for us, anytime...

However, I think the author has himself answered his question while he asked the same. I would agree with him that the usual reasons are often about being ashamed of not knowing something and then it being revealed in front of other person. In fact, we have become so good actors at showing ourselves as modern and sophisticated and it happens with almost everyone at some point of time that s(he) tries to fake it. Fake it so well, that the other person may think s(he) actually knows a lot about a particular subject.

Personally, I like to keep my life simple and easy. Therefore, whenever I am not knowing much about something, I don't try to be a hero in the scene. I like to clearly admit about how less knowledge I have on the subject and that would be all that I will be using while doing or discussing something related to the subject. In fact, that even saves the other person from tying false expectations from us. We must keep it simple and revealed and it saves us from unnecessary headache.

Regards,
    Ank Arya

"Your value does not decrease based on someone's inability to see your worth"

It is a fact that nobody knows everything. One person may be good in one field. Another person may be good in another field. So, if we don't know about something, it is better to ask anyone who may know about that thing. With a feeling that others will treat us differently, we should not refrain ourselves from asking. Such a behavior is a negative catalyst to development. There are some people who just don't accept that they don't know about something even though it is proved and such people are likely to be unsuccessful in life. On the other hand, some people just ask others and listen to them very carefully keeping aside their ego, pride etc,. Not even one of such people will be unsuccessful in their life. Everyone should try to do that.

Sign In to post your comments