You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Creative Writing

Mahatma in a dream of an Indian on 70th Independence day .

Mahatma in a dream of an Indian on 70th Independence day .

Husband: Oh Darling! Happy Independence Day, I met Mr. Mahatma Gandhi in my dream.
    Wife: Is it?
    Husband: Dear, He asked my name and I said," My name is Indian." He laughed and said," A lovely and lively name. "
    Wife: Then…..
    Husband : He said, "I am MK Gandhi. I have not seen and heard about India for long after Independence. Now 70 years have passed. India might have changed. Can you tell me something about present India? I said," you ask me, I shall answer you." He smiled and said," Okay."
    Wife: Lovely! What did he ask and what did you tell?
    Husband: This is what, Darling.
    .........................................................................................................................................................................................
    "Gandhi: Do our people reminisce the struggle for freedom, dear Indian?
    Indian: Excuse me Pappu. I am not good at English, Let us speak simple English.
    Gandhi: Don't worry. After all, it is a foreign language to you and me. Say, Do our people still remember me?
    Indian: Yes. People still remember and worship you as Father of our nation, and also they curse you.
    Gandhi : OMG! Why? I struggled for the freedom and got it. Why curse me?
    Indian: People say that you are the defeated General of an victorious army. Why did you not handle the partition problem properly? India and Pakistan are deadly to each other without peace forever.
    Gandhi : Oh! Sorry to hear this, I couldn't help .There was no other option. Okay, how is our education system?
    Indian : What to say Mr. Gandhi! We are almost British with the English. You could chase the British but not their English. All are behind English from nursery to Ph.D. Children cannot write or speak their mother tongue properly. Educational institutions have become business centers.
    Gandhi : I see, Hope our women must be happy in free India , are they ?
    Indian : Our women are better off than the men when compared with your then India. Yet, they are not safe. Rape is on the increase. Women are not safe in your land.
    Gandhi: Oh! I never expected. What about corruption?
    Indian: Corruption is supreme. Indians have accumulated their black money in Swiss banks. Most Indians are tax evaders.
    Gandhi: How about Poverty? I think all must be rich by this time.
    Indian: No, Mr. Gandhi? Unemployment, Poverty and Corruption are the three major survivors in our country. Still people are living in foot-paths. There are too many people living with begging as profession. From an office peon to a cabinet minister, all are corrupt. Crimes have increased due to unemployment.
    Gandhi: Do our Indian excel in sports?
    Indian: Pathetic. Can't win a single gold in Rio Olympics.
    Gandhi: About India's agriculture?
    Indian: Not satisfactory. Need to develop.
    Gandhi: Tell about transport facilities.
    Indian: Better than the past with excellent national highways.
    Gandhi: Understood. What is the general feeling of the public in free India?
    Indian: All Indians feel that they lived in peace while they were slaves under the British, but they have lost their peace in the free India under our own government. Only the politicians feel their freedom while the citizens of India feel nothing about freedom. We pay for drinking water, and to urinate, we pay minimum Rs.3/-. This is what the present India! India has changed but not as expected by you, Pappu.
    Gandhi: Let us stop it here. I don't want to ask or hear anything more. Thank you, Indian.
    .........................................................................................................................................................................................................
    Wife : Excellent dream, my lovely darling .

@ This is my entry for Independence day story writing contest.
    ..........................................................................................................................................................................................................
    Gandhi-indian
    The dream sequence between Mahatma Gandhi and Indian was well conceived and true to the genre of the author this thread has been timely and made good tribute to the father of the nation.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Though we talk. more about our achievements of independent India, we have to accept the facts. The author has scripted well and the conversation between Gandhi and the author is really enjoyable.
    Regards,
    Jagdish

Extremely provoking very nice, I think it is like a satire and it contains lots of trueness in the conversation, I am thinking what will happen if Mahatma Gandhi get alive and see the surrounding of India by his own eyes rather than hearing about his country. I think he will die again as he cannot think that is that India which was so patriotic and the feeling of oneness was so spread all over the country in the times of struggle. I think we should be shameless because our freedom fighter have died for our nation to give us freedom, and what we did we just are ruining the deeds of our freedom fighter, I think if the freedom fighter will see all this then they will think that why they have fought for the freedom, to make the country like this which is in present.
    live happily in every situation of life

I thank Mr. Sun for indicating major ills of the present Indian society during his (an Indian's) dream conversation with Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, who is known as 'Father of the Nation'. However, Mr. Gandhi should have been told about some of the achievements of the country and some illustrious countrymen.
    Moreover, it is not factually correct to say "Can't win a single gold in Olympics" regarding sports. In fact, India has won six golds (five in hockey) after independence.
    I overall enjoyed the story.

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Perhaps the Mahatma would have been much happy to know about the progress which Muslims made in India.
    Originally, the India was a Hindu country. Besides Hinduism, other religions like Sikhism, Jainism and Buddhism have originated in India. In addition, there were some peace-loving minorities like Parsees and Jews etc. Muslims came much later as invaders in India who looted wealth, plundered cities, vandalized temples, desecrated statues of deities, massacred innocents, raped women and forcefully converted crores of Hindus. They forcefully ruled India for more than 800 years, which was perhaps the darkest period of intolerance and cruelty in India.

Mahatma Gandhi had failed in ensuring that the India is not getting divided. Only 15% Muslims got 30% of undivided India's land. About 3% Muslims remained in India after partition but they hey waged a demographic war and presently we have 24 crores Muslims in India.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Dear Members,
    I must thank you for your sincere responses appreciating my dream conversation with Mr. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, the Father of our Nation on this lovely Indian Independence day.

No life without Sun ¤

Mr Sun,
    I thoroughly enjoyed the conversation between Mr. Gandhi and the Indian. The facts have been brought out beautifully in your creative conversation. You covered all the essential points of education, poverty, corruption, unemployment, education, women welfare, sports, transports, which are essential for a country's progress and development.

The best possible conversation describing the drawbacks in India. I enjoyed it from the beginning to the end. Let us hope that at least some of these problems will be gone before the next independence day.

Sign In to post your comments