You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: IndiaStudyChannel.com

Happy Independence Day!!

Hello all ISCians,
    Today is Independence Day. Many of the ISCians are very young. Many others are among the senior members. Some are in between the senior and junior era. I would like to wish you all a very happy independence day and I would like to know what each one of you do today? I would also like to know from the senior ISCians as if they are celebrating the Independence day this year like always or times have changed now. Tell me about your thoughts.

As for for me, I am a bookworm. I read books on various revolutionaries of the Indian independence, especially of those who are lesser know. So what do you do today?
    I am always fond of going through the intricate details of our ancient history. On the occasion of Independence day, I always keep watching the shows on television. However, I make it a point to skip the entertainment shows loosely based on the concept of Independence day.

I watch a few really meaningful shows. I go through the internet to find a few good accounts of what went through during the struggle for freedom.

Live....and Let Live...!

Most of the Indian celebrate Independence Day because it is declared as a national holiday. Had it not been a national holiday, the scenario would have been much different. Primarily many people celebrate the Independence Day also like any other festival.

We see many more advertisements published in the newspapers on the Independence Day issue. Most of the newspapers have additional pages as supplements for accommodating advertisements. The merchants as usual look for additional business on the day, being a holiday. Many go outdoor for paying a social visit or eating out or for shopping. This year the travel agencies have lured the customers to avail extended weekend for a short excursion.

The day comes as a bonus or a boon to the working class. They find an additional day to complete household chores like washing the clothes or cleaning the house.

The only difference compared to the other festivals which I have noticed is the fact that generally no special dishes are prepared during this festival.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Jai Hind.
    'Happy Independence Day." Though it is a great Indian festival day, I would say that it is the most dull festival day for Indians. The activity is limited to very few minutes, to hoist our tri-colour, sing national anthem and eat a small chocolate/toffee, that too only for the school children. For the rest, it is a dull day with no activity to perform.

Generally, this festival is marked for the politicians, from a local ward councillor to a Minister to hoist flag and distribute some sweets to the public. The event is over by 9 o'clock. The rest of the day is for doing nothing worth.

Jai Hind.

No life without Sun ¤

Happy Independence day to all. For the first time I missed the flag hoisting ceremony at my colony and instead participated in a Sudharshana Maha yagnam that held in Venkateshwara Swamy temple along with my son for over 7 hours and felt blessed with having honored among 25 other priests.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

I beg to differ from a couple of the responses that I happened to see above. The day marks attaining the freedom and it should be considered in the right spirit. Treating this day just like any other day for house hold chores or partying would be something uncalled for. I am aghast to see such thoughts are ever harboured - No personal issues though and I am sorry if I have hurt anyone's sentiments.

There are many functions arranged by NGOs and other groups all through the day. That is at least what I have seen here in Goa. The festivities or the celebrations do not end by 9.00 am here. I would not be able to comment about any other place, but there are a many competitions and discussions and such programmes arranged throughout the day.

I vehemently think that the day should be taken in a good spirit than considering it as just another holiday - at least that is not what is not expected from the likes of us who are educated enough.

Live....and Let Live...!

In my opinion, the things which must be done on Independence day are singing and respecting national anthem, attend a flag hoisting ceremony and salute to our tricolor flag, feel proud to be an Indian, wish that India will be more developed before the next independence day. Due to some problems, couldn't attend flag hoisting today. So, I stood when national anthem is being sung in a nearby school and wished that India will be more developed before the next independence day. Happy Independence Day. Jai Hind!

Sign In to post your comments