You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Festivals

Why 15 August, not January 26 was chosen as the Independence Day?

At midnight on 31 December 1929, the then Congress President Jawaharlal Nehru had hoisted the tricolour flag of India on the banks of the river Ravi in Lahore and a pledge of independence was read out to the assembled people. However, the 'Purna Swaraj' declaration or the Declaration of the Independence of India was formally promulgated by the Indian National Congress on 26 January 1930. Since then January 26 was chosen as the Independence Day.

Lord Mountbatten had been given a mandate by the British parliament to transfer the power by June 30, 1948. The congress leaders were impatient and were not ready to wait until June 1948. Lord Mountbatten though that by advancing the date, the possible bloodshed or riot could be prevented. Accordingly, the Indian Independence Bill was introduced in the British House of Commons on 4 July 1947 and passed within a fortnight. It provided for the end of the British rule in India on August 15, 1947.

August 15 came to the mind of Lord Mountbatten because it was the second anniversary of Japan's surrender ending the second world war. On August 15, 1945, Japanese Emperor Hirohito had announced the surrender of Japan to the Allies through a radio broadcast.
    Thank you so very much for clearing the age old doubt of people. It was very interesting and informative.
    And a very Happy independence day!

On the day of Independence we came to know how we got it the same with different sacrifices and expectations from various quarters. Nevertheless this day is the real freedom from bonded existence that we were experiencing from British raj.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Jai Hind.
    The right independence day is the day when our tri-colour went up the sky and when the British Jack was brought down to the earth . I think that happened on 15th August in front of the British Lord MB.
    Jai Hind.

No life without Sun ¤

That means we got full freedom on 15th August and that's why we make our independence day on this day. Thanks for the vital information, I think the author saved us because if we Indians don't know why we make Independence day on 15th August then it can also be happen that we can become a laughing stock for our friends. Because I think the right sense of Independence is about knowing about this day fully and not forgetting the deeds of lacks of Indians who together fought for our freedom. Jai Hind Jai Bharat
    live happily in every situation of life

That was a great deal of information. I, as a responsible Indian citizen of the country, am grateful to the author for letting us know of the important piece of information.

By the way, I was aware of the fact that the Independence Day was earlier being celebrated on January 26 on account of Poorna Swarajya declaration. Maybe that was the reason the day was chosen for the implementation of the constitution and thus became Republic day.

Live....and Let Live...!

I am not aware of at least one sentence mentioned in the thread. I thank Mr. Kailash Kumar for providing such an important information. This is one of the useful facts I learnt on our 70th Independence Day. Jai Hind!

Sign In to post your comments