You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Creative Writing

Show your creative thought from my creative art.

Members,
    Attached below is a photo from my own Camera. Kindly look at the picture and write a short story (words between 100 and 150) to show off your creative thoughts from an art.

The best story will win Sun's gold coin.

River Tamirabharani
    My creative story -
    I am the holy river of India flowing since time immemorial. I have witnessed several generations of people coming to me to wash their sins. Sins were always there even in the ancient times. However, there has been much development in the nature of sins since then.

Earlier, the people's sins used to be simple in nature and they used to be able to dilute the same simply by taking a holy dip in me. Nowadays, the sins have become much more complicated and require chemical soaps to wash it. Not only that, the quantum of their sins have also increased rendering the same getting adhered to the people's clothes also which requires them to wash their clothes also simultaneously.

Only the greed of people to wash clothes also while taking a holy bath has led to the genesis of the Hindi proverb - 'behti ganga mein hath dhona' which means 'to use the available opportunity'.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

This is what flashes into my mind when I saw the picture.

The people on the river bank stands still for a moment on hearing a crying sound. This is what they hear.

Oh my dear people who are washing and bathing here!
    It is paining! I am already half dead!
    Listen to me for few minutes and save me.
    I have flourished your place with my water and have helped you in the cultivation of the crops.
    I have helped you to fulfill your thirst.
    I have helped you for cooking, bathing and washing.
    Without me your day will be incomplete.
    Till today I have done many good things for you. I wish to do the same things to my future children. But if you poor people continue to spoil my beauty with your waste then I may not be there to help your children in the future.
    You may not think about your children but I have the responsibility to take care of my children.
    Please don't pollute me with your wastes! It is my humble request.

With Tears,
    River

This is a beautiful snap. I have noticed that people are taking bath in the ghat. I have also noticed the greenery at the other bank of the river. I will try to develop a unique story on the snap later.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

I'm Aditya. I'm a Tamilian. It is mandatory for every tamilian to take a dip in river Kaveri at least once in his lifetime. So I and my family set out for our "pilgrimage" to the very mouth of the river, Coorg. Our journey was good. The land is lush. I've always been a non-believer, so this would be only a mere vacation to me rather than a holy pilgrimage.
    We stop at the bank to gaze upon this mighty river stream. As we get ready to take a dip, we notice that the other devotees have occupied the bank already. Some washed their dirty clothes, some bathed there, some were immersing the ashes of dead.
    I read at school once,"Cleanliness is Godliness".
    And I see no holiness here. Iam surrounded by filth.
    Now the state of Kaveri is indifferent to other "holy" rivers in India. We never truly believed or loved our rivers. All we ever wanted was to wash away our sins.
    That's how selfish and sly humans are.

My very short story:-

The morning is calm, quiet and serene. Like every other day, the villagers are bathing in the river. Gentle breeze is blowing, birds are chirping. Everything is so normal!

She has been waiting patiently at the other bank. Like her three beautiful cubs, she is also hungry. She has been trying very hard but could not find even a small monkey or deer for last 48 hours. In the lantana overgrowth, she has beautifully camouflaged her sleek body. Earlier she hid her cubs in a safer place. Now she has been trying to understand the width of the river and the direction in which the breeze is blowing. She is also very careful to hide herself from the monkeys and languors on the trees. After satisfying herself, she starts moving stealthily towards the river. Although she doesn't like water, but hunger forces her to swim. Silently, very silently she takes cover behind the boulders and finally reaches the water at the other bank. The villagers can't hear her because they are bathing and talking to each other.

Within 30 seconds, she reaches the middle of the river, leaps out, catches the nearest man by his neck and comes back to the bank where her hungry cubs are waiting. She reaches the safety of the dark green forest, even before other villagers understand what has happened.

Thus begins the career of the man-eating tigress in the locality!

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Here is the creative story from my end :

I am the only water source for this village and people come here for bathing, washing clothes and also fetch drinking water from flowing water bed. What is more astonishing is the fact that when many of the people have their own bathrooms and wash rooms, why they prefer to come here and take a detailed bath polluting my water to further level and also tries to wash off their sins. I am given birth to cater to the drinking needs of the people, animals and the birds living in this area, but the people are taking too much advantage of their position and try to exclude the rights of animals and birds coming to fetch their thirst. Thank God this time the rain was continuous and my stream is also flowing, otherwise these people also wont care me and try to be in doors. Water is scarce elsewhere, but these people waste it and never bother about the shortage during crisis. May good sense prevail on them.

K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

I have read all the stories written by other Members. I liked all the stories. These stories revolve around a common theme, i.e., water pollution. Indeed water pollution is a major problem in today's India.

Sunday would be over in another 1 hour or so. Eagerly waiting for the declaration of result by Mr. Sun.

Mr. Partha,
    You are the winner. I expected a creative story out of my picture. You are the sole member to produce a story.
    Congratulations. Keep it up.

You won Sun's Gold coin.

Members, Join me to congratulate Mr. Partha.

No life without Sun ¤

Congrats to Partha for writing a nice short story and winning this contest created by the author. Such creative images must be submitted now and then for our thoughtful responses.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Thanks to Mr. Sun for posting a beautiful snap and organising an interesting contest. I also thank him for his gift of a gold coin and 5 valuable points!

Congratulations Partha! And I would like to register my appreciation to Sun for the really nice click he had posted.
    Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad - Miles Kington.

I know Sun that the contest is already over, but still I will like to respond to your post with a short story.

Akhil was a city boy, born and brought up in the United States. It was after a long time that he got to visit his grandparents in India. One fine morning, his grandpa took him to the nearby river for a bath. Akhil was initially hesitant in getting into the water. But, when he saw scores of other people including, his grandpa enjoying a dip in the river, he too followed suit. Once in the water, he started liking it and was soon making the most of it. He flapped, splashed and did whatever he could manage under the watchful eye of his grandpa. The natural beauty surrounding the river was mesmerizing too and Akhil enjoyed each and every moment of it. This was one special day he will always cherish.

Congrats Partha for getting the Gold coin. Your story was very creative. But, like many of your previous stories, where there's no given theme, this story too ended in violence.

Patience and perseverance pays

#576338 : Mr. Dhruv, I beg to differ. I would like to say that when all other participants saw the river and people bathing, I noticed the lush green jungle at the other bank of the river. The jungle brought the image of a hungry tigress and I can't imagine a vegetarian tigress. In the previous sentence, I am not ridiculing the vegetarianism. I am only stating that the tigress is carnivorous and her search of food in the story can't be construed as violence.

First of all, hearty congratulations to Mr. Partha Kansabanik on winning a virtual Gold Coin from Mr. Sun.

#575806 : I liked your story very much. Every participant other than you wrote about pollution (no offence meant) but you wrote a quite different story. Though it is dark and violent, it is nice. Surprisingly, I too observed the greenery and wanted to write something on that but I couldn't due to my almost nil creativity. I hope you will post many such stories in the coming days. By the way, I am waiting for the sequel to your Polonium Injection story.

Well Partha, I too liked your story. About the violence, I just mentioned it on a lighter note. To Krishna, how can dark and violent be nice, all at the same time?
    Patience and perseverance pays

Mr. Dhruv: Please try to read Jonathan Kellerman's novels. These are dark and violent (on psychopaths), but are extremely popular (although many people can't digest such horrible crime). However, in my present story, the tigress has not committed any crime.

Sign In to post your comments