You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Olympics

How much money the gold medalist at Rio Olympics will earn?

I am not able to resist the temptation of sharing the information doing rounds on the net. According to estimates, the swimmer Joseph Schooling of Singapore who won gold will earn more than Rs. 5 crores as a bonus from his country.

The estimated bonus of gold medalists from some of the other countries are as follows -
    Indonesia - Rs. 2.55 crore
    Azerbaijan - Rs. 1.70 crore
    Kazakhstan - Rs. 1.53 crore
    Italy - Rs. 1.23 crore

The above is in addition to the likely income from the endorsements, sponsorships and paid appearances.
    When for a ordinary endorsement of any product , the celebrities are earning crores of rupees, surely on winning a gold medal from the Olympics, the player would be most sought after by companies and advertising media to highlight their respective brands. In India too the prize money would be more than crore. I remember when Sania Mirza was named brand ambassador for Telangana Government she was paid 1 crore officially. So taking that figure in to consideration the players would earn formidably here. Moreover every state government will also announce awards and rewards for the Olympic performers.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

If a bronze medalist of India can earn 2.5 crore and sure of a government job from her Haryana government, I can't dream about a gold medalist of India. If a player from India wins gold, I am dead sure he/she would be a multi millionaire or a billionaire.

Haryana government has assured Rs. 2.5 crore as gift and a government job to Sakshi Malik, as per news.

No life without Sun ¤

This time Sakshi medal is equal to Gold. Its like thirsty get water of dry time. Its end of all waiting for most Indians who was wasting whole night for medal.
    Santosh Kumar Singh
    (Sr. Microsoft Dynamics Axapta Technical,Mumbai)

This is the information I found.
    1) Government of Haryana announced Rs. 6 crores, Rs. 4 crores and Rs. 2.5 crores for gold, silver and bronze medalists respectively.
    2) Railway ministry announced Rs. 1 crore, Rs. 75 lakhs and Rs. 50 lakhs for gold, silver and bronze medalists respectively.
    3) Sports ministry special awards scheme gives Rs. 75 lakhs, Rs. 50 lakhs and Rs. 30 lakhs to gold, silver and bronze medalists respectively.
    4) Indian Olympics Association gives Rs. 50 lakhs, Rs. 30 lakhs and Rs. 20 lakhs for gold, silver and bronze medalists respectively.
    So, Sakshi Malik is going to get a Rs. 3.5 crores for winning the bronze medal. She would have got Rs. 5.5 crores or Rs. 8.5 crores is she had won a silver or gold medal respectively. As P. V. Sindhu is sure to get a silver or gold medal, let us see how much money she will get. Hope Indians get many more medals like this.

P. V. Sindhu has so far received Padma Shri in the year 2015 and Arjuna Award in the year 2013. Sindhu's father P. V. Ramana is himself an Arjuna Awardee.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sign In to post your comments