You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Foreign Affairs

Gilgit: People's agitation against crackdown by Pakistani security forces

Protesters have taken to the streets in the Pakistan-occupied Gilgit-Baltistan region (FANA), against the crackdown by Pakistani security forces which has caused arrest of over 500 young Gilgit residents. Angry protesters said these young men were imprisoned for demanding political rights and asking the Pakistani Army to leave Gilgit's soil. Raising anti-Pakistan slogans, angry protesters took to the streets in Gilgit town, Astore, Diamer and Hunza of the the Gilgit- Baltistan region, which is the only Shia-dominated region in Pakistan.

The political crackdown and arrests in Gilgit were made against people protesting against the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), which they said would only benefit China and Pakistan's Punjabi traders. Protesters have opined that the youth of Gilgit are not being involved in any manner with the CPEC and those who are protesting are being dealt with very harshly. Over 500 young Gilgitis have so far been jailed, including Gilgit's top political activist Baba Jan. Widespread human rights violation has also been reported.

India must support the hapless people of this occupied territory of FANA in their struggle against inhuman Pakistani forces and must inform the world about the human rights violation taking place in this area.
    FANA stands for Federally Administered Northern Areas . The Gilgit-Baltistan was formerly known as the Northern Areas. Incidentally, it has the greatest concentration of the highest peaks in the world. Pakistan controls about 84,159 square kilometers of the former princely state of Jammu and Kashmir. The northern areas consist of 11,639 square kilometers of so called Azad Kashmir and 72,520 square kilometers of Gilgit and Baltistan regions.

The Northern Areas are ruled through the Federal Ministry for Kashmir Affairs and Northern Areas (KANA). The people of Northern Areas are denied any constitutional status, rights or representation in any houses of Parliament or any Provincial Assembly.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I don't get why India or any other country is not informing United Nations etc,. about Pakistan's inhuman activities. It is wrong not to provide constitutional status etc,. for the people in northern areas. Some serious action must be taken against Pakistan.

When some International attoricities takes place, UN must intervene and the stop the arrests illegally made. If the UN is not taking concern, India being big brother of the region sould interfere.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Although we hear about PoK much frequently, the Shite' Muslim community of Federally-Administered Northern Region (FANA), i.e., Gilgit-Baltistan are more unfortunate. The development index of the region is horrible. The inhuman torture being suffered by the people must be known to the world community.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Sign In to post your comments