You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Olympics

2 Medals in 14 days. What do you think about the state of sports talent management in our country?

What do you think about the state of sports talent management in our country?
    Is it abysmal? or is it picking up?

2 Golds in the last 40 years:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Games Sports Men Women Total Change Gold Silver Bronze Total Change
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1976 2 20 0 20 -21 0 0 0 0 -1
    1980 1 58 18 76 +56 1 0 0 1 +1
    1984 48 -28 0 0 0 0 -1
    1988 7 46 -2 0 0 0 0 0
    1992 5 53 +7 0 0 0 0 0
    1996 13 44 4 49 -4 0 0 1 1 +1
    2000 7 65 +16 0 0 1 1 0
    2004 14 48 25 73 +8 0 1 0 1 0
    2008 12 31 25 56 -17 1 0 2 3 +2
    2012 13 60 23 83 +27 0 2 4 6 +3
    2016 15 66 54 118 +35 0 1 1 2 -4
    All this happening because of the game federation.
    To win a medal a player should do lot of proper practice, he/she should get proper food, training, proper environment, and also should rewarded for every achievements, but most of our sponsors just focus on Cricket for which other federations are not working, as there is no money involved. Also Government not providing sufficient support , the committee members most of time from political person, for which they are unaware how to do and what support exactly a player need.
    SO Government should change its policy, and recruit proper trainer as well as provide monetary , support so that after some year we can definitely win some medals in Olympic.

I do agree with the facts and figures that Indian sports persons did not bring that much glory and pride to the country in correspondence with the contingent we sent, but please note that all the players who managed to get pride for India were trained on their own and the country never backed up. So at least from now onwards India must create the next Olympic team in all the fields and give rigourous training taking the help of former Olympians and then only the next season may bring much gold and silver medals. By the way those who already performed in past would also give suggestions to government on how to improve the situation.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

The state of sports talent management in our country is not good. Being a 132 Cr population country our performance is very low. Can you think of the reasons behind it. Friends there are many reasons , some of them are listed below:
    1. The talent search procedure is faulty. The right candidate are not searched and most of them remain hidden.
    2. There are not sufficient infrastructure in India at state and district level.
    3. Good players belong to middle and poor family, their parents do not have sufficient money to support their expenditure.
    4. What is after retirement from sports? most of the medalist sports persons end up in poverty and selling tea, doing labour work and low profile work. If this is the end of sport person who will dream for it.
    5. There are not sufficient coaches.
    6. In India only cricket and cricket players are respected and remembered, rest all forgotten.

'Education is a lifelong process, keep on learning new things'

I agree with Mr. NK SHARMA's response, mainly the 3rd and 4th reasons. There is almost nil financial support for players belonging to poor and middle class families. In India, sports are not given a priority. That works for cricket too. After seeing the trailer of "M S Dhoni : The Untold Story", I came to know that M S Dhoni was not encouraged to go for cricket. That happened many times, is happening now and will happen many times. In this situation, we must be happy that Indians won at least some medals.

The data painstakingly cited by the author of the thread is not fully decipherable by all concerned. Perhaps the same may be presented in an 'easy to decipher' format.

Coming back to the main point, the Government, as well as, many other organizations have announced many prizes and awards worth crore of rupees. The Minster of Sports is camping at the venue and generating media coverage also.

Cricket has become much sought after profession because of the celebrity status and the big money associated with the same. The same applies in the case of other games also. Nowadays, the achievers in other games also are gradually acquiring celebrity status and big money, thanks to the endorsements and sponsors.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Three years and eleven month we chant "Cricket, Cricket", when Olympic comes, we start discussing about why we didn't get medals? I mean does we have heart to ask this question? How many of us watch sports other than cricket? How many of us encourage our kids to go for sports other than cricket? If we can't change our mindset about other sports, we should not ask such questions.

Yes, we have got very few medals in so many years, yes, we got only 2 medals so far in Rio Olympic but anyone noticed that how hard our athlete fought? If we have anything less in our athlete, it is mental toughness. We are not in to those country who wins regular medals, in fact we are in to those country which are fighting to make presence in world level. What we miss every time in Olympic is the momentum, in this Olympic we start badly which kept pressure on our athlete. Had we won a medal on our initial days at Rio, the story would have been different.

I am not blaming sports authority of India because they are doing best since 2010 to provide all the facility to our athlete. Yes, there are politics which has to be look after into Indian sports. So far, Sakshi, Dipa and Sindhu all praised for the sports authority those who have provided them the best facility.

Whether one will agree with me or not but I am seeing a bright future in other games in India. Yes, it will take time, may be years but the day will come soon when we too have handful of medals.

"Any man who stands for progress has to criticize, disbelieve and challenge every item of the old faith." - Sardar Bhagat Singh

Sign In to post your comments