You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

Find out the error in the following sentences

Generally when we talk or write some sentences in English, they look to be error free. Yet there would be some errors. There is an error in each of the sentences given below. Identify and rewrite the same. Specify the reason, if possible.

1. Running around the cricket field the Sun was extremely hot.
    2. The competition became quite tough and the headmaster found that all depended on Kishsan Lal winning the top position.
    3. His father did not hear from him for more than a month and has therefore sent him a telegram.
    4. In Chandigarh last Sunday there was a tennis match between Punjab against Haryana but it remained inconclusive.
    5. Never in my lifetime I have seen such a beautiful sight.

Just have an attempt.
    My attempt:-
    Running around the cricket field the Sun was extremely hot. -Running around the the cricket field under the hot Sun......
    2. The competition became quite tough and the headmaster found that all depended on Kishsan Lal winning the top position. -The competition had become quite tough and the Headmaster felt that everything depended on Kishan Lal winning the top position.
    3. His father did not hear from him for more than a month and has therefore sent him a telegram. His father had not heard from him for more than a month and therefore sent him a telegram.
    4. In Chandigarh last Sunday there was a tennis match between punjab against Haryana but it remained inconclusive.-On last Sunday in Chandigarh, there was a tennis match between Punjab and Haryana, but it was inconclusive.
    5. Never in my lifetime I have seen such a beautiful sight. -Never in my life, I saw such a beautiful sight.

“Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

My attempt:
    1) Running around the cricket field in the Sun was extremely hot.
    2) The competition became quite tough and the headmaster found that everyone depended on Kishan Lal winning the top position.
    3) His father had not heard from him for more than a month and therefore sent him a telegram.
    4) In Chandigarh last Sunday, there was a tennis match between Punjab and Haryana but it remained inconclusive.
    5) Never in my lifetime I saw such a beautiful sight.

My participation as follows -
    1. Running over ('around') the cricket field, the Sun was extremely hot.
    2. The competition became quite tough and the headmaster felt ('found') that all will depend ('depended') on Kishan Lal winning the top position.
    3. His father had ('did') not heard ('hear') from him for more than a month and has therefore sent him a telegram.
    4. In Chandigarh last Sunday there was a tennis match between Punjab and (' against') Haryana but it remained inconclusive.
    5. Never in my life (' lifetime'), I have seen such a beautiful sight.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

The correct sentences are below:
    1. The Sun was extremely hot while running around the cricket field
    2. The competition had become quite tough so the headmaster felt that all will depend on Kishsan Lal winning the top position.
    3. His father did not hear him since a month so he sent him a telegram.
    4. There was a tennis match last sunday in chandigarh between Punjab and Haryana but it remained inconclusive.
    5. Never in my lifetime I had seen such a beautiful sight.

'Education is a lifelong process, keep on learning new things'

Here is my attempt -

1. Running around the cricket field the Sun was extremely hot -
    2. The competition became quite tough and the headmaster found that all depended on Kishsan Lal winning the top position - The competition got so quite tough that the Headmaster found it all depended on Kishan Lal to win the top position.
    3. His father did not hear from him for more than a month and has therefore sent him a telegram - His father could not hear from for more than a month and hence sent him a telegram.
    4. In Chandigarh last Sunday there was a tennis match between Punjab against Haryana but it remained inconclusive The tennis match played between Punjab and Haryana in Chandigarh last Sunday remained inconclusive.
    5. Never in my lifetime I have seen such a beautiful sight - Never in my lifetime have I seen such a beautiful sight.

Live....and Let Live...!

The first sentence given by Mr. Patro was incomplete, so it can be changed/corrected in various ways.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Here is my attempt-
    1) The Sun was extremely hot while running round the cricket- field.
    2) The competition became quite tough and the Headmaster felt that all depended on Kishan Lal to win the top position.
    3) His father did not hear from him for more than a month and therefore he has sent him a telegram.
    4) In Chandigarh, on last Sunday, there was a tennis match between Punjab and Harayana but it remained inconclusive.
    5) Never in my life - time, have I seen such a beautiful sight.

Since English is a very simple foreign language, everything will look fine and in order.
    Here is Sun's language:

1. While I was running around the cricket field, the Sun was extremely hot.
    2. As the competition became quite tough, the headmaster felt that everything will be depended on Kishsan Lal to win the top position.
    3. As his father did not hear him for more than a month, he has sent him a telegram.
    4. In Chandigarh, last Sunday, there was a tennis match between Punjab and Haryana, but remained inconclusive.
    5.I have never seen such a beautiful sight in my life.

No life without Sun ¤

Happy to see the response from our members. The correct answers would be posted on Monday. Others may also make an effort.
    Regards,
    Jagdish

Friends,
    You can check your answers now.
    1. Running around the cricket field the Sun was found to be extremely hot. (I admit my mistake for omitting the two words 'to be' as pointed out by Partha in his latter response. Otherwise you could have attempted in a better way)
    - Running around the cricket field, I found the Sun to be extremely hot.
    (The participle 'running'must have a noun or pronoun. Here wrong use of present participle.)
    2. The competition became quite tough and the headmaster found that all depended on Kishsan Lal winning the top position.
    - The competition became quite tough and the headmaster found that all depended on Kishsan Lal's winning the top position.
    (When a noun or a pronoun is placed before a gerund, it should be in possessive case)
    3. His father did not hear from him for more than a month and has therefore sent him a telegram.
    - His father has not heard from him for more than a month and has therefore sent him a telegram.
    (Simple past was wrongly used for present perfect tense)
    4. In Chandigarh last Sunday there was a tennis match between Punjab against Haryana but it remained inconclusive.
    - In Chandigarh last Sunday there was a tennis match between Punjab and Haryana but it remained inconclusive.
    5. Never in my lifetime I have seen such a beautiful sight.
    - Never in my lifetime have I seen such a beautiful sight.

Thanks once again for your response.

Regards,
    Jagdish

Patro,
    Your No. 4 sentence has no comma. It should read as
    "In Chandigarh, last Sunday, there was a tennis match between Punjab and Haryana but it remained inconclusive."
    Don't you think the commas are essential?

No life without Sun ¤

Mr. Patro: Is 'lifetime' (Sentence No. 5) can be used in the sentence? I have some doubt.

Sun,
    Your observation is noted and the mistake is admitted. I am not making any correction now in support of your observation.

Partha,
    I don't think so. During my life or lifetime make the same sense. But I can't rule out your point and our experts should help me out.

Regards,
    Jagdish

Why complicate the sentence. Simply say - I have never seen such a beautiful sight in my life (or during my life/life time)
    No life without Sun ¤

I feel there is a slight difference between 'life' and 'lifetime'. 'Life' is a continuous process i.e the phase is still continuing and one might or might not see such things again in future. 'Lifetime' suits well if the process has stopped/is over.
    Though many may argue that people often get 'Lifetime Achievement Award' but these are the cases for the successful people who have done something extra-ordinary in some specific field and now they are no longer active in that particular field.
    Hence, 'in my life' or 'throughout my life' suits better.
    Regards,

Hard Work is the key to success.

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

IBPS-Clerk-Syllabus-Pattern.pdf

Delete Attachment

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.