You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

In which cities the great personalities honored with Bharat Ratna live?

The Bharat Ratna is the highest civilian award of India. It was instituted in the year 1954 and so far total 45 persons have been decorated with this distinction. Two non-Indian distinguished personalities - Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan and Nelson Mandela have also been awarded Bharat Ratna.

Many Bharat Ratna were awarded posthumously also. However, we are fortunate enough to have many living Bharat Ratna among us.

Have you ever met or even seen a Bharat Ratna in person i.e. not in television shows? In which cities, they live in India or abroad? Let us compile such information to remember as a mark of our respect to them.

My contribution is Sachin Tendulkar who live in Mumbai.
    According to my knowledge, only two persons, one Indian and one foreigner who have received Bharat Ratna are still alive. One is Mr. Amartya Sen from Bengal and the other is Mr. Nelson Mandela from South Africa .
    No life without Sun ¤

Lata Mangeshkar, C.N.R. Rao and Atal Behari Bajpayee are also alived Bharat Ratna recipients other than Sachin Tendulkar and Amartya Sen.
    Regards,
    Naresh Kumar
    'Every bad situation will have something positive. Even a dead clock shows correct time twice a day.'

We have a living legend Atal Bihari Vajpai with us. He lives in Delhi. I happened to see him when I was in Delhi . He was MP at that time
    Regards,
    Jagdish

#576105- Nelson Mandela has died on December 5, 2013. He was a recipient of Nobel Peace Prize also.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I have physically seen the following Bharat Ratna recipients in my life.
    1. Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru as PM at my home place Tuticorin when he came for a visit.
    2. Mr. Kamaraj at Chennai as CM
    3. Mr. MG Ramachandran in an auditorium at Chennai as CM
    4. Mr. Rajiv Gandhi at Goa Airport as PM

No life without Sun ¤

I am not fortunate to see any Bharat Ratna recipients till now. There are 5 alive Bharat Ratna recipients. They are:
    1) Amartya Kumar Sen
    2) Lata Mangeshkar
    3) Chintamani Nagesa Ramachandra Rao
    4) Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar
    5) Atal Bihari Vajpayee

Regarding the cities where they presently live, the following appears to be the answer-
    1. Amartya Kumar Sen - Cambridge, Massachusetts, US where the Harvard University is located (not sure)
    2. Lata Mangeshkar - Mumbai
    3. Chintamani Nagesa Ramachandra Rao - New Delhi (not sure)
    4. Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar - Mumbai
    5. Atal Bihari Vajpayee - New Delhi

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Sign In to post your comments