You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Olympics

'Sportswoman' spirit in Rio Olympic-2016

The modern Olympics are meant to bring world-nations together. USA's Abbey D'Agostino did exactly the same when she gave up a race to help an opponent from New Zealand who had tripped during the race. New Zealand's Nikki Hamblin fell during the 5000 m preliminary round and also accidentally tripped up D'Agsotino. D'Agsotino was up but chose not to continue running and instead helped Hamblin to get up. The 24-year-old D'Agostino twisted her knee due to the collision and could only limp over the finish line. The two contestants from the USA and New Zealand hugged each other at the end of the race.

A true example of 'Sportswoman' spirit displayed by Abbey D'Agostino in Rio!
    I noticed the 'sportsperson' spirit when the final badminton match between P.V. Sindhu and Carolina Marin concluded. The way they greeted, congratulated and affectionately hugged each other, was more like between the siblings than between a winner and a loser of the gold medal. We could not hear what they said to each other, but their stance, gestures and disposition were quite revealing.

Generally, we see such comradery between true ace players. They respect each other's capability unlike the episode back home involving the India wrestler Narsingh Yadav who was finally banned for four years and debarred from participation in Rio events just three days prior to the scheduled event.

Narsingh Yadav was named to represent India ahead of double Olympic medallist Sushil Kumar having grabbed the quota by virtue of his bronze in Las Vegas 2015. Sushil Kumar dragged Narsingh to the Delhi High Court where the decision went in the favor of Narsingh Yadav.

Yadav had asserted that he was made a victim of sabotage (food/drink tampering) by another person.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Wow! Such a nice thing done by an athlete! I remember a movie scene related to this context. Once, a race is conducted for physically handicapped children. One children trips and falls in the middle. The other children come back, lift him and all of them cross the finish line at once. D'Agsotino must be really appreciated. She has a good character which is rarely seen these days.

Wow what a nice display of sports person culture. This signifies that sports players are also human being and for them nothing is best than the human values. My appreciation to them.
    K Mohan
    I consider myself as the learner everyday

Sign In to post your comments