You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

India Study Channel English check is ON to have our English improved

Members,
    I wanted my fellow ISCians to check my English to improve my English as I am not confident of my English. Not to be selfish, I wanted more members to be benefitted. Hence I raised a thread and got the names of 10 members who indicated their willingness to have their English checked by the English experts of ISC.
    Kindly referthis thread to know the names of the members.

With immediate effect the English Check is ON ( I repeat)
    With immediate effect the English Check is ON.

Members sure of the mistakes committed by a member in his/her message or response, and if willing to correct the members English, should indicate the mistake at the bottom of their response in the following manner.
    .............................................................................................................................................................................

Member,
    A..................................(The response to the thread)...........................
    ...........................................................................................................................
    ...........................................................................................................................Z

@English Check: 1. 'A elephant' should be 'an elephant'. 2. 'I did not saw " should be 'I did not see'. 3. A comma is not required after the word 'member' etc.

If the English check is to a response posted by a member, the response number should be clearly indicated after the words 'English Check'.

E.g. @ English Check ( #000001) 1. 'A elephant' should be 'An elephant'...............................................................................................

( No other information should be added. If the originator is in disagreement, he/she may ignore the English check or contact the member through PM and seek clarification. Else, they may raise a separate thread for discussion)
    ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    All the best. Let us improve our English through ISC
    I am curious to know as to who are the 'English experts of ISC'.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Mr. Kailash,
    A member who can find the mistakes or faults in English writing is an English expert. In ISC, all members are both experts and learners. Members are both teachers and students. You are an expert as well as a learner if you feel so.
    I can check your English. You can check my English. Let us learn good English.

No life without Sun ¤

Sun,

The main point: If English is corrected, will the person be acceptable to the correction or insist that there was nothing wrong with it?

What is likely to happen is that there will be utter chaos in a thread, with the main topic of the thread going off track &, more likely, everybody having a free-for-all spat on whose English was right. I honestly foresee a lot of problems being created by all the corrections in English. It would be far better to simply send messages to the member who requested for English corrections rather than pointing it out in each and every forum thread where the member has responded.

Regards,
    Vandana
    Managing Editor, IndiaStudyChannel.com

I concur with the views expressed by ME in her response #576227.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Madam,
    Therefore , I reiterated that there will be no return response from a member. If it is acceptable to the member, the member may/may not simply say 'Agreed' and if not acceptable, might ignore it. If not agreed, they may send a PM to clarify the doubt mutually. If it was a debatable serious mistake, it can be discussed by raising a separate thread. In any case, members should not make a mess of the thread.

Also, I suggest to have a parellel thread to sort out the English check queries. It will have the title " "Discuss your English check queries here." The thread will be locked after 10 days and a new thread will be opened.

Let us have it on a trial basis for 30 days to see the efficacy of English check.

No life without Sun ¤

Yes, it is 'on'. But nobody is checking my posts/responses. Members, please point out my mistakes, if I have made any.
    “Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away.” - Paul Terry

Vandana,

I support Sun. It is a nice initiative. Let us give it a try at least once!!!!

The checking thing can be tried out. If it works out then it can be continued with and if there is any issue then you may lock the thread and the practice will be discontinued with.

Sun,

For sure all this English checking is going to overburden forum editors and keep them away from more important tasks. Also, the separate thread will also create chaos I am sure.

Let's give it a go though for a few days. Note - The thread may not be kept open for the min. of 10 days.

How about you start that separate thread right now, as I am already in disagreement with your correction of Partha's English in one of his recent threads.

Regards,
    Vandana

Vandana,
    You may post your disagreement in the parallel thread "Discuss your English check queries here - A parallel thread" which is purely meant to discuss the disagreement. You can correct me and say what is correct if I were wrong. " I will learn from you. I might say 'yes' and leave it. This is how we learn good English.

No life without Sun ¤

Sun,

I have replied in that thread as per my knowledge of English language, with English corrections of your English check of Partha's English in his thread. It is hoped that such English lessons do improve the English quality in the forum and we see better English henceforth.

Regards,
    Vandana

instead of channel i suggest tutorial video ...its easy inject in children mind...

Sign In to post your comments